Climbing costs cool migration to Alberta

[复制链接]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-6-29 10:14 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Vital workers moving to B.C., Saskatchewan" q6 N* s" ]8 i2 e3 U  g
Tony Seskus and Kelly Cryderman, Calgary Herald
9 R# g' ?0 Z! O. b) k. GPublished: Friday, June 29, 2007
" x3 L5 ^0 x* V& d8 J: N% WAlberta's overheated economy -- fuelling huge increases in inflation and housing costs -- is beginning to lose sorely needed workers to Saskatchewan and British Columbia, figures released Thursday indicate.1 l2 l1 x* j" W' r" ^# V
" `: t' W+ w" E8 R$ }+ \# k- n
Statistics Canada's population update shows Alberta had a net gain of 7,400 people from other provinces during the first three months of 2007, a 53 per cent drop from last year's record levels for the same period.
+ A0 z; a( N* N3 {/ W
4 r; m) K4 b1 o& B"What we are seeing is the growth in Alberta is still strong but there is a bit of a slow-down," said Hubert Denis, a population analyst for the federal agency.
1 U- f6 G% U; V  ~4 X/ P8 z6 w: z7 g* X. W& f

; ?5 f+ v. @# l"The main reason is people are leaving to B.C. and Saskatchewan."2 `; \# W& Y( X$ T
8 [: g: ?( L% t0 U% o; Q4 {
Denis said Saskatchewan is gaining significant numbers of people at Alberta's expense for the first time since 1984 -- when Wild Rose Country was reeling from the previous oil boom's downward spiral.: D8 h5 P/ r* @; f

2 i1 N' L7 S# P% D; @Alberta business owners say the figures reflect the critical problems they are having in attracting staff.
4 g- a4 N6 q" ^0 h
9 o( l8 D* N- l6 v"What worries me about those statistics is it looks as though it's not going to get any better," said Danielle Smith, director of provincial affairs for the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, which represents small- and medium-sized businesses." F$ I$ x, V: Q7 t; s

' Y$ S$ ?, f+ E/ i2 Q7 [Alberta still led all other provinces for population growth in the first quarter of 2007, increasing 0.57 per cent, or more than twice the national average, but the growth rate was down significantly from the same stretch in 2006.
0 d1 Y' L. y5 u3 v0 a7 V% r! c( N! ?+ X% p
Provincial officials contend the numbers are healthy, noting Alberta's figures are still the best in the country.
" n8 i' v4 W9 G" B. u1 z# n
5 K2 C  u! n9 I9 f# m7 _6 @/ {"You've got to keep it in perspective," said James Frey, spokesman for Alberta Employment, Immigration and Industry.
6 `7 }3 b5 [4 T3 R1 B% [5 z, K
"We're still getting more people. We're still seeing the fastest increases out of any province."' _& K. C( p# _# h; T8 j& o' F

/ g8 ]* ?" V& ?6 D2 V, }. K# V& bHowever, Richard Corriveau, an economist with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, believes Alberta is seeing some of the results from the rapid increases in housing prices. He thinks it's one factor that is going to inhibit the province's ability to attract migrants in the future.
, |+ k0 B; T. K; H- ~. k: i. A7 X! g9 |  J# I9 t4 b% w( I
"A couple of years ago, Alberta surpassed Ontario as the second-most expensive market in the country, and we're very quickly closing in on B.C.," he said.
; m2 z$ j0 A# v7 B
4 V/ O. n) L. }6 n' {Calgary's vacancy rate sits at 0.5 per cent and city rents increased by an average of 18 per cent last year -- with no end in sight for future increases and loss of rental units to condo conversions. And the average price of a single-family home in Calgary is now approaching $500,000.! C# N* M+ s( k9 U' O  E% l/ I7 N

* m  ~' S: l1 W' Z) i& f0 y8 UAt the end of May, the average price of a single-family house stood at $487,523 -- a 17.25 per cent increase compared to the May 2006 figure of $415,815.# h+ s" H4 l4 g* I0 V: T
$ R9 I1 e( `# s/ o& E" l
At Statistics Canada, Denis said he is assuming it is people who are originally from B.C. or Saskatchewan going back to their home provinces after working in Alberta for a spell.3 U) c; J5 X9 G
* k- ]1 J$ C/ Q- t) }1 ~
"Now we see that there's a kind of reflux," Denis said. "They made their money maybe, and it's time to go back."; L  O5 I9 \0 ]  @7 [- w: {
; q5 m5 H/ B  M0 m( z, H5 I6 t0 N: n
In the last three months of 2006, Saskatchewan saw a net gain of 128 people. And then in the first quarter of 2007, that figure jumped to 769 people.( ^! G( F9 Q4 F/ x6 L* i- J

" W3 \4 ?9 m: T& c9 ^5 W
! Z( N. A/ c/ B' vAs of Monday, you can count Kyle Crowder, 32, and his girlfriend Katie Domm, 24, as two more lost to Saskatchewan.1 _/ @  a3 u: t
4 y( d3 g4 N, H
Domm is originally from Regina and Crowder is from Creston, B.C. They are moving from Calgary to Saskatoon so Domm can attend medical school at the University of Saskatchewan. Crowder -- who is an excavating machine operator -- already has a job lined up after choosing from three offers.1 o8 U4 |  Q* ~) @

% i- o# _% Y5 ^2 h4 }5 jThe couple says they chose Saskatchewan because of the sense of community in the province and because it is a good place to raise a family. There's a good chance they will remain there after Domm is finished medical school in four years. In Calgary, they haven't been able to afford a house.; [7 f% C! h  u+ k/ a$ C% e

) q6 q2 J- P/ J! HAlthough they both say they love the mountains and the city, Crowder said "it's just getting too expensive and the traffic is out of control."3 C" e$ x7 v( l# |, {  ^

4 l; G" Q- b+ }4 U2 r! Y% t% L! BSaskatchewan Premier Lorne Calvert didn't brag when he heard the statistics showing Saskatchewan's gains Thursday, but said he is "pleased" with the trend. The premier said people are coming back primarily for Saskatchewan's robust economy and, secondly, for quality of life and affordability issues.1 U) p" Z/ S9 u

+ B3 L. V) I# C5 H% U% |- pBusiness advocates believe there is a connection between the labour shortages and the affordable-housing crunch.) c3 H( ]+ [: C
7 h% [1 f+ O4 a( Q
"We see it as part of the labour shortage, which is our number-one issue," Heather Douglas, president of the Calgary Chamber of Commerce.
7 w+ h' }( N) N) @2 T
! z+ _2 a( B# o, W"For the first time in the chamber's 116-year-old history, affordable housing has hit our top-five priorities."
6 k- |: I4 `9 N1 l* S6 a
# c: U# B) W4 u. V0 F' ECFIB's Smith said it's "very troubling" to see the in-migration numbers falling off when workers are so badly needed. She said the fact is Alberta may just have to rely more on temporary foreign workers.
! Y6 D! T0 m& y! y
6 y6 I6 q5 ~7 [2 qStatistics Canada's report showed Alberta had big gains in international migration, with 7,384 people coming to the province, up nearly 40 per cent.
6 K' ]0 A. K9 c" {. a9 G3 q2 J: e/ }) W$ z. t$ @
Neither business organization supports the idea of rent controls, but believe there are other ways governments could improve the situation, like reducing red tape for apartment building construction or secondary suites.# H# T& C! ~5 `* H. b8 U& K

( g. j6 d0 j* b' ztseskus@theherald.canwest.com
( i# v- D" R  x
( T, Y- v  W5 Y5 p6 [" j# Gkcryderman@theherald.canwest.com
0 h# m: |4 s; }& ]9 O/ s6 d7 T
  M) h! ~& W, D: B$ e- C
5 h8 E. k& ?0 i* B( c$ B3 g) k0 J3 `. D3 n5 ^- E$ T

/ s( q* E  p9 E% q4 d© The Calgary Herald 2007
鲜花(22) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-6-29 11:24 | 显示全部楼层

回复 #1 smalltown 的帖子

鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-6-29 12:31 | 显示全部楼层
我就说嘛,今年新移民预约linc语言测试不需要象去年那样等那么久了(现在不到1个月?去年一度3个多月)。说明来的新移民没有去年那么多啦。
( D' A( Z- d4 f1 c1 e9 H2 v
0 D" f3 m( S: S5 X4 h$ K- z7 ^[ 本帖最后由 lalah 于 2007-6-29 13:34 编辑 ]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-7-2 11:04 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
高房价吓退了不少人哦
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-7-2 11:08 | 显示全部楼层
这样的话, 以后这的工作机会更多了
鲜花(34) 鸡蛋(5)
发表于 2007-7-2 13:39 | 显示全部楼层

回复 #5 苹果鸭梨 的帖子

这也是很多项目hold得原因,没人来,人力贵,项目hold
鲜花(54) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2007-7-2 13:44 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
热火朝天也比 平淡什么也没有强 & n/ b) j) n" D

- A% f" h; s# ]1 M7 d6 D4 l1 u我是新移民,感觉这里适合 新移民.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-7-3 17:33 | 显示全部楼层
我英语水平不高,看不懂啊,
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-14 12:59 , Processed in 0.174311 second(s), 24 queries , Gzip On, APC On.