'Smart' plan means getting closer to our neighbours
& y) i, G9 E$ D% u# z + j( {+ Z" \) k0 F& S! M+ \
Alexandra Zabjek
. v! Q. {4 z7 j2 K' i9 gThe Edmonton Journal
  w2 z: }+ b$ j1 y% h0 w' B* |/ W5 \9 I
Monday, May 21, 20075 q- n9 K0 V/ X) K0 F8 j% h
9 W1 c/ L6 h3 r* P  U$ V/ e
' L. e& l; ?& g$ f
EDMONTON - It used to be, just a few years ago, that couples tiptoed towards home ownership by heading to the suburbs.5 E4 K- S& u* u; k
) z8 O- J+ @0 K& P
These days, house-hunting couples are likely less concerned about yards and fences than they are about underground parking and noisy neighbours.
% p; x8 D: ]. x1 z& K+ ~% n
0 {# Z/ P" R  oWith single-detached homes soaring to above $400,000 last month, first-time homebuyers are increasingly looking at condominiums and townhouses. And the building industry, struggling with rising costs, is constructing more multi-family units.
5 B* L# A$ _- Q9 m+ B2 n( t2 m; I
9 f+ n9 K% p/ C3 i; P"For a number of folks looking to get into the market and they want to go new, their first home is not going to be that little single detached house," says Richard Goatcher, market analyst for the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation's Edmonton office.
* w3 l5 s# N/ `! |: v* g; ~2 P( o- l5 R0 F" c% D
"It's now going to be either a townhouse or condo."
. R) ^0 g/ S% |% L& B8 }6 D
- c' h: M( _) Y8 IAt first glance, the statistics are surprising: single-detached housing starts dropped a whopping 57 per cent between March 2006 and March 2007, while the number of multi-
% c. \6 a+ j* |5 e4 O( f) [# t/ Z. f$ q- ]4 `' q5 c5 `8 m
family housing starts inched upwards by 6.3 per cent in the same period.2 H' P* v  L  A

0 R8 B3 W; O& E, VPart of the massive drop in single housing starts can be explained by the delay in work caused by last year's early winter, says Goatcher. Also, 2006 was one of the strongest years for single-detached housing starts, setting a high benchmark for 2007.' d4 p, g6 K' L% e4 N+ {% O
6 q' s0 A0 `: N3 F5 B1 ^- e
But higher density housing is a key part of the city's "Smart Choices" plan, which aims to intensify developments in established areas of the city. The idea is that its cheaper to provide infrastructure, and also easier to provide opportunities like walkable neighbourhoods and good public transit.( g. T6 ~) N9 w$ Y

2 |! P& d* [! c2 c  k& E6 hSmart Choices program would prefer to have most of this condo construction occur in established neighbourhoods; in fact, much of it is happening in the city's outer reaches.
) x4 ]4 J1 K+ C! F: p# N, i* I1 D
About 25 per cent of new multi-family starts occurred in the city's southwest corner, south of 62nd Avenue and west of the Calgary Trail. About 25 per cent occurred in downtown. The rest was spread through the city.
/ A6 g  V. M1 L. E
; a  k& _) [" J% w7 i9 nExpanding outwards, and not upwards, has always been a natural thing for Prairie cities, which are not hemmed in by geography. Academics often predict that people searching for cheap land and cheap houses will happily move to far-flung suburbs.0 t+ B9 n3 `  _- i# L6 F" \

' y6 j! i! h6 p7 [) v* RBut there is a delicate tipping point., n$ Z% ~; j' W2 _: f; Z0 ^

?, m$ H+ R5 b( q) ?/ e1 B, n1 g; B"As cities grow and the periphery expands, then people will say that the new suburban house they can buy is so far out from the centre that they might start to consider to accept inner-city, higher-density housing," says Andrejs Skarburskis, an economist at the School of Urban and Regional Planning at Queen's University.
4 D3 `6 ^( j8 [  {5 z9 l, V/ U( [+ |
For that to happen here, Skarburskis says, the city would have to have "very high prices for a very long time," but says that's not likely.3 F' A' e7 h6 l/ u5 U- i
! v' [9 f, G4 l, B- b
The other factor that will slow inner-city densification is resistance from those already living there.6 d# y& b4 a7 S- L+ a, t
" X* r3 D1 z+ T: g5 h
That's the case in the west end, where a proposal to build five condo towers at 142nd Street and Stony Plain Road, is being fought by neighbouring Glenora and Grovenor, the first designated "Smart Choice" communities.
5 z8 c- m( h  t# X# ?- j  N1 l7 F) _* a' `
City officials are working to assure mature neighbourhoods that Smart Choices aren't to be feared.
0 e, o7 S, ^9 T8 ?% {) e: n6 I4 ?" Y1 ~2 A1 p% i
Edmonton should be accommodating 35 per cent of new growth within mature neighbourhoods to have long-term impacts. That's about double what is currently happening.
2 Y8 E# l/ r& s$ U. X$ v+ T: G( v* x! J
"Smart growth is about intensification and increased density, but there are conditions," says Greg Barker, the Smart Choices program director .
  x& V6 J1 b' r
! K8 {# G( A7 ?& X( m, D5 x7 X"Increased density must come with improved design and improved amenities," he says. "(Developers) have to give something back to the community."
( L. z7 x" k: a7 H* Q- o$ c( [5 g! S8 ?3 _1 m3 X% [
azabjek@thejournal.canwest.com) d6 n4 n- O0 ^

8 b9 e, ]5 Z- s, {. kFirst-time buyers: How'd they do it?
  L( W! U* K- n- E; x" Q% \2 L6 K- |! O5 ?3 C& b
they paid: $178,0002 ^% S) D# }; \7 y) b

4 k- T# V/ R' }; J6 M! v- e, FThey Got: a 600-sq.-ft condo9 Q/ P3 f9 @" h1 t: ]

8 g- r. Q7 ]7 G6 F* f& b$ A1 n1 LWhen: October 2006
3 B. W/ B7 B0 Z4 r$ M' M  E. H7 b1 l' l5 a- H' q) P! N
Megan MacKenzie and Jason Carnew admit they weren't in an ideal position to buy a condominium last year. But for MacKenzie, a PhD student, and Carnew, an actor, the real estate market seemed like one of the few ways they could profit from an economy heavily tilted towards the oil and gas industries.
$ z- q4 t2 b- c0 O6 Z+ u! q) V% l7 l+ i0 w) [7 T
"The boom doesn't really affect us," MacKenzie says. "My salary will be the same whether the oil crashes or goes up."1 V8 O, M# N# i; K' |

/ V3 `( j9 c9 R9 b  YLast year they sold their car, gave up Carnew's cellphone and cashed in their RRSPs to assemble a down-payment for a downtown condominium. It's a small place with a huge balcony, and, given how prices have skyrocketed, a bargain for the recently wed couple.8 u# F8 ]0 x' C! L  O. _
9 o" l  k; ]% V, Z0 A! R
"Our price range doesn't exist anymore," says MacKenzie, "except maybe in a trailer park."
" W$ N) I1 \* s  L) ^* \8 C" z1 R, V. F- r7 c  R2 r" y0 }$ D/ U) M* F
With rents rising, the couple, both 28, figured they'd be paying almost the same amount for a mortgage.
( @( k5 G  a" z/ _0 i5 M2 R) g- C- f2 r! m- ~$ i4 O
The couple realized they had "missed the boat" by not buying before prices really started to climb, but also knew they wouldn't lose.
$ m0 D( N8 C8 V; c+ E* a
, o* c" s& `. G/ R, P9 |& K9 @' f7 Y* j"We just figured that with the economy, it would be fine for another few years," MacKenzie said. "I think we'll be long gone before any housing crash. We don't wish it for anyone else in Edmonton, but if it crashes in five years, we won't be here."$ l3 L; f7 F; u( o& V

7 |* ?, g$ U8 i; C1 I9 J/ L. _Alexandra Zabjek, Journal Staff Writer
- _' c# k/ @5 r' l© The Edmonton Journal 2007
鲜花(6) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-5-22 15:07 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(1394) 鸡蛋(16)
发表于 2007-5-22 15:10 | 显示全部楼层
谁能给翻译一下?我出1万金币。
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-7-18 09:12 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
原帖由 老杨 于 2007-5-22 16:10 发表
) r/ ]. u0 u' ]4 W谁能给翻译一下?我出1万金币。

5 B5 @& n! Q  j7 w; g/ S) B# y
9 _* T( ]( U+ B5 j' Y" _- g5 {原文太烂,许多地方连我都看不明白,但重赏之下(哇噻100000金币)必有莽夫,翻得不好,凑合着看吧
4 g1 n/ X+ t- W7 ?3 n% e0 o
# n6 J; e- Z5 k8 {8 z1 A% Y; M
+ E4 k: R7 H3 K4 Y9 b% T9 ]想要实惠就住得和邻居更近些
5 N: f6 Q" _- a. m' w- n3 d  W" T+ h' a7 h4 y& ~
Alexandra Zabjek
" W. O" Y5 M# N0 E2 tThe Edmonton Journal
% u6 G" l" f3 A- }, aMonday, May 21, 2007
: Q% r% J6 V6 X/ `4 _
$ `6 Y9 f+ M5 m# H" F. PEdmonton - 几年前,购房族还把注意力集中在郊区。近来,他们更在乎停车位和邻里关系,庭院设施方面倒不再为主了。上月,独立屋飙升过$400,000关口,打探起公寓和镇屋行情的初次置业的人也变得多了起来。建筑行业也适时新建了不少带多住户的住房,用以抵销房屋价格上涨的压力。“现在这些购房族的首选不是公寓就是镇屋,不再是以前的独立屋了。”加拿大抵押和住房有限公司埃德蒙顿办事处的市场分析师Richard Goatcher这样说道。他们的统计给人的初步印象就是在06年3月至07年3月期间独立屋的销售下降了57%,而与此同时多住户房的销售小幅上涨6.3%。Goatcher说部分独立屋销售疲软的原因可归咎于去年的早冬使得工期延误,但06年独立屋价格仍然走强,并在07年创了新高。选高密度的城市住宅用来置业是很经济的办法,既能享用廉价的公用设施,又能促进邻里,改善交通。这些实惠举措都                    依托于城市周边公寓样式的住宅。目前,25%已竣工的公寓样式住宅处于城市西南角,62大道以南和卡尔加里西路,25%座落于市中心,其余则分布在城市各个角落。草原城市不受地形限制便于扩张,专家预言人们更趋向于到远郊寻求廉价的土地和房屋。但又有观点,女王大学的区域规划学者Andrejs Skarburskis认为,随着城市日益扩张,人们会担心住得离市中心太远而情愿选择市内的高密度住宅。如此一来似乎市内住宅价格将长期走高,但实际情况未必。另外,内城原住民也反对开发新项目。      例如,城西,142街和Stony Plain Road路计划中的首起5座“精明之选”社区公寓,遭到近邻Glenora和Grovenor区的抵制(译者语“真比大陆老百姓牛X”)。政府官员正积极游说他们不必对“精明之选”社区担心。预计爱城将会新增35%的社区,是目前的两倍,会对已有的住户产生长期的影响。“精明之选”项目的总干事Greg Barker说“增加住户的同时开发商也要回馈社区,相应提升设计和区内环境。”
' X& M2 m8 [2 ?: J+ i    azabjek@thejournal.canwest.com
" u* G/ l1 F3 |4 h    初次置业:买卖情况
+ }7 C" j; K& K# L1 b1 O6 y1 Q    付出:$178,0000 D, s' s* l/ _0 f7 F
    得到:600平方英尺公寓
8 j- X2 _8 D& Z5 I5 |    时间:06年10月% }! B/ w; ]! v3 \' i
    Megan MacKenzie和Jason Carnew认为去年他们买的公寓的地段不太理想,但对于博士生(MacKenzie)和演员(Carnew)的组合来说,油价和天然气经济的发展,仍可使他们的地产投资有所回报。
3 a# v" _( S: L$ J$ t9 u5 F( ]    “蓬勃的经济没有影响我们,我的工资不随油价上下”MacKenzie说。去年,他们卖了车和电话,套现了RRSP,用作市区公寓的首付。公寓虽小,阳台却大,很保值。“现如今这样的价格大概只能买到野外去了”MacKenzie说。这对28岁的年轻夫妻意识到,当房租上涨到和抵押贷款的同样水平,他们已经丧失了买进的最好时机,好在还不晚。MacKenzie说:“我们感到未来几年经济仍将持续,房价下跌之前我们会在这生活很长一段时间,房价上涨对其他人来说不是社么好消息,但如果短期5年内崩溃,我们才不会选择呆在这里”。8 C" I3 \" K/ q
    Alexandra Zabjek, Journal Staff Writer
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-7-18 11:43 | 显示全部楼层

有道理得 不行不行的

鲜花(634) 鸡蛋(5)
发表于 2007-7-19 10:26 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 hychin 于 2007-7-18 10:12 发表
) `4 o1 C6 D6 v0 q" g9 g: k; T1 k
2 n7 I1 l4 c+ {( {3 ^
原文太烂,许多地方连我都看不明白,但重赏之下(哇噻100000金币)必有莽夫,翻得不好,凑合着看吧. L  S3 O$ c3 Y+ K9 E7 M5 u
  ?2 P  X3 x% J; }+ n7 R: K, _- F
) O* ~  G" f8 D5 j) e- ]& w
想要实惠就住得和邻居更近些
$ R/ U- t# L( x: L  k$ }+ i6 c8 O4 `  F0 C
Alexandra Zabjek
; o6 \% S2 c  HThe Edmonton Journal
# S4 |7 \* \1 k, x  V$ d8 u8 G5 `Monday, May 21, 2007
7 _; O& q. K/ r3 A& \6 @
6 M5 H; a- n+ c: I ...

% b" D  S7 P  b你看不明白就原文太滥了? 小朋友口气好大!
  P4 ?2 M) C  ?! T; F) j4 M' M3 H) I4 O  b' R5 @
没有细看你的翻译,扫到的错误有:4 r" h5 c6 |" A6 \: W8 |
smart plan,是政府的计划项目
/ v$ E( f) d$ r4 ]6 sfirst time buyer, 不是购房首选, 是首次购房者: K  ]" Z0 e; b1 w
1 i' C' u4 |$ [0 z; ~: ?/ Z+ B# d
[ 本帖最后由 三思 于 2007-7-19 11:30 编辑 ]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-7 01:37 , Processed in 0.148164 second(s), 20 queries , Gzip On, APC On.