老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Where do we grow from here?" H, C  I* ?8 u: @! H, q% Z3 I6 K7 b
In 10 years, watch for the 'burbs to get bigger, downtown to get busier
6 [' Q7 i% E. J7 @/ g 5 q( P2 @" S/ D. |9 \3 P& ]
Gordon Kent" p; W, G$ w( T+ j
The Edmonton Journal/ i: v) l/ `3 y' O; Z5 v6 B0 l, F
, d8 B  n+ Z  L7 Z+ U' A( P
Monday, May 21, 20073 Q+ g2 b1 E. S* p

$ o! S; [: l" N6 ?* V  XEDMONTON - The Edmonton region's economic boom is creating a population rush that will push housing close to the city limits over the next 10 years.% v. }6 M% j; H8 P
' N2 L* M: S9 t( L; N9 E
At the same time, thousands of people are expected to move to new townhomes, highrise condominiums and lofts that could change the face of downtown and continue the process of revitalizing the urban core.
- N9 A8 W5 d- F0 f* q1 `  G% q
1 b6 h, o# g+ V/ F4 M# Q"There's definitely a trend towards living downtown among certain demographic groups," says city planner Colton Kirsop.
  j7 X1 h) Z& P; r+ b5 a8 U% O' n1 q' f8 k. P1 s% C
It's part of a desire throughout the capital region for "smart growth," featuring higher population density, walkable communities, better public transit service and other changes from traditional suburban sprawl.
# h/ t$ P) t- |  G( E9 M0 G9 H) Y' u+ _+ u4 o
Strong demand also means developments are being proposed and built more quickly, says Peter Ohm, director of south-side planning services.- i% p4 l* q3 t9 l! S) {

6 \% g5 c7 t! u9 W6 K/ ?- E"Everything is being accelerated in the time it takes from the start to finish since about 2000," he says. "We went through some periods where we just didn't see anything much (happening). There were a lot of neighbourhoods that were started and it took many years to complete."
, B. A/ l) s9 O" \
; f  D" l" @; f- E" Y( YA large proportion of the new homes will be built in popular southwest Edmonton, but subdivisions are likely to spring up across the region, particularly if costs inside the city rise too quickly.9 P/ l8 r! }9 i

" [7 m. z, x! }! K2 D: ^' P: q7 [4 J, jOver the past five years, Stony Plain saw the fastest increase of any municipality in the region, jumping by 28 per cent to 12,363 people from 9,624. The mayor attributes her town's rapid growth to low property taxes and utility charges as well as a friendly, small-town atmosphere.# \0 W- C  N# q% h4 {

0 e& l( K5 s2 Hgkent@thejournal.canwest.com# P3 s. V2 m& `: n

! _9 Q: K3 }( w: k- St. Albert, the region's third most-populous municipality, recently annexed from Sturgeon County 1,336 hectares north and west of the city for future growth. This land is likely to be primarily residential, with a focus on transit-oriented, multi-family development.
  S1 a+ \- p9 g
4 C+ O0 ~9 p3 ?/ B5 i- Strathcona County is planning a new "urban node" east of Highway 21 and north of Highway 16 for most of the 25,000 to 30,000 new residents expected over the next 10 years. The area will feature highrise buildings and pedestrian-friendly streets. Sherwood Park is likely to be built out by 2014.4 H7 g3 z  }: W0 g# D

6 e, k, j, n* a( p- Population will likely rise across the capital region. For example, Redwater, 50 kilometres northeast of Edmonton, could see its population of 2,200 more than double in five years as workers arrive for upgrader projects.
" H) c8 i' Q5 w, ~  \) ~© The Edmonton Journal 2007
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-14 02:15 , Processed in 0.118627 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.