Rent control - Good news for renters

[复制链接]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-4-17 08:59 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Task force backs rent controls
7 X4 X* K0 A2 ^5 q
! {* X+ c6 y% @% |& xRules would be similar to B.C.'s
4 I4 N& u  I4 L! X% f5 @* M& ]# QKelly Cryderman, Calgary Herald6 p1 s, ?, P6 ~7 A4 Z& n0 v
Published: Tuesday, April 17, 20076 @& S6 j2 d# L- o0 I3 g+ @! m( m7 y8 r3 D
A deluge of steep rent increases and condominium conversions has prompted a Stelmach government committee charged with finding solutions to the housing crunch to call for a two-year period of rent controls, among other solutions, say government sources.* D% U, N  e9 y" z! m, T) g6 ~3 I

c* p9 c% L& n4 l8 E  |7 u8 @+ W% uThis morning, Conservative government MLAs will review and debate the suggestions from the 16-member Alberta Affordable Housing Task Force, which was initiated by Premier Ed Stelmach earlier this year and toured the province in February and March.( M2 o  Q1 g7 c+ p) J5 ]9 _- l1 J& ^7 S
. n; k8 i& ^8 G
If the recommendations are adopted, rent increases would temporarily be limited by mandatory "rent stability guidelines." This would cap rent hikes to inflation levels, plus two per cent -- similar to the rules in B.C.
/ F: A  i; I' T, _# I
* Z) B' t: y( g8 y8 w" L- x! G2 b- s
If landlords have extraordinary costs such as renovations or high utility bills during those two years, they would have to apply for permission to a yet-to-be determined government body for a greater rent increase. New construction would be exempt from these rules.
# b( i0 v' h' _. t& E& J$ q2 o8 O9 e: {  p
"The decision to recommend this protective measure was a very difficult one for the task force," the report says. "There was clear concern among many members about the impact of rent guidelines on overall new rent supply and on rental rates once guidelines are removed in two years.3 w' O; ~/ W) Y8 d" B6 e

! h- ?8 q$ O- |0 z5 u"At the same time, the task force was confronted everywhere with the plight of renters who are losing their homes right now. These people have few other affordable housing options in today's overheated market. The task force understood that keeping people in their current homes wherever possible is essential while dealing with the urgent situation Alberta is facing."0 m: \4 w, |1 I
3 T& X$ f# g# b/ e/ f" y
While rent increases are now allowed twice per year, the task force recommends they be permitted only once annually.
+ u" G5 H! O+ C4 i1 j7 N9 v: q
2 F% e1 c: ], q7 w/ _Sources told the Herald the report also includes a recommendation to force landlords to give tenants one-year's eviction notice, instead of the current six months, if they are going to convert an apartment building into condominiums -- a trend that has swept through the province's largest cities.
% E: P2 m! Z2 h
( l+ r% |* |8 F  N/ a8 }" C& ~/ LNo rent increases will be allowed during that period.) l& T* k* B" C$ B2 L

& y4 T2 K* N# }2 f. K9 k3 }Other recommendations are focused on homelessness -- an increasingly visible problem in Calgary -- including one calling for increased funding to temporary emergency shelters.
8 Q5 C' _5 N9 E2 B6 ?. t! D7 ^- x1 h, o5 z
The recommendations are likely to win praise from housing activists and opposition parties, while frustrating landlords -- who have spoken out against rent controls in recent months, saying they distort the market, and discourage development and maintenance.
7 g6 S* Q* o' x
# e1 E# ^: C, R4 d( Q! j6 rThe rent controls will be a tough pill to swallow for MLAs with a strong belief in the free market, but is increasingly seen as a possible solution in light of the past year's changes to the market. For instance, Calgary-East MLA Moe Amery called for rent controls last week.! B: }. G/ r' Y

) f" q' {. r, R- b7 J' I* q! I% UThe task force heard a number of worrying stories, including one from Calgarian Catherine Mitchell when the task force came to the city Feb. 28. She and her husband have lived in their home -- a rented two-bedroom apartment -- for 35 years, but live in fear that eviction is just one condo application or rent hike away. "It's the stuff nightmares are made of," the 75-year-old retired teacher said.
# x3 M/ f! |$ C- U
# t- V. {, `; H3 [The report went to Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister Ray Danyluk in March, and has been working its way through the government's private review process since then.. }3 H) M. [! E# j3 l
7 A! F( v% c/ [% y9 J" D; M" S
The fact it hasn't been released a month after being given to the minister has been a major bone of contention for opposition members.
  b  U. Z1 E3 i" R
2 n6 B4 }$ V3 d4 {: N" h5 w# ekcryderman@theherald.canwest.com
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-4-17 09:20 | 显示全部楼层
bad news for landlord and rental market,  it might affect real estate market.
鲜花(1394) 鸡蛋(16)
发表于 2007-4-17 09:23 | 显示全部楼层
谁能给翻译一下?我出1万金币。
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-4-17 09:26 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
原帖由 Player99 于 2007-4-17 10:20 发表
4 ]- ^2 g  N1 lbad news for landlord and rental market,  it might affect real estate market.

* {7 C( Z9 \* L$ }
" ?/ B0 z6 s  N* U, n; ?% dFor sure it will affect the condo market. The prices of condos may drop.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-4-17 10:02 | 显示全部楼层
主要内容
2 {$ V3 d/ [# ^- P2 `6 P6 A2 I8 S) B. f
从政府来的消息, 高速的房租增涨幅度和公寓转换量迫使Stelmach的政府委员会快速找到能解决这个问题的办法-- 2年房租控制和其他解决的办法。  
/ W8 g8 y) ]* X8 O0 F) q* t4 G
- J) a: W; n# z, `8 z, g& @: u! K4 j1 o4 C
今晨,保守党政府的MLAs将讨论由Ed Stelmach在年初提出并经过16个Alberta Affordable Housing Task Force成员2月和3月在全省考察后的建议。
- B2 f9 r5 w+ Y4 a6 W4 L0 _$ o5 d8 k, ^$ R1 l* x
如果建议被采纳, 房租增长幅度将被”租金稳定性指南”临时强制控制,这将会将房租增长控制在通货膨胀率加上百分之二 的水平,于BC相似。
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-4-17 11:04 | 显示全部楼层
限制租金的增长在好多大城市都有啊。alberta 早该出这个政策了。
大型搬家
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-4-17 21:31 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(14) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-4-18 10:44 | 显示全部楼层
按照经济运行的内在规律,这个政策出台前,房租应该会有一波更大的涨幅,
鲜花(14) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-4-18 10:48 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
这样一来,LANDLORD才有调控的余地,才能符合预期的最大价值。尤其在卡成和爱城这种新的移民潮涌而来的地方,更加具备这样的环境基础。不过,从长远来看,对租客而言应该还是一个重大利好。
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-4-18 19:22 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-5 12:39 , Processed in 0.168026 second(s), 22 queries , Gzip On, APC On.