查看: 2332|回复: 12

卡尔加里的故事

[复制链接]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-2-24 20:22 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
一篇老文章,在卡尔加里最疯狂的时候文章来源:Wall Street Journal 060830
. }- e0 \7 q$ O. S7 h. D
2 ~' ~4 h. F: D- }7 I$ f9 @, PNorthern exposure: Oil-rich Calgary finds boom times have a downside
2 \- ^" ?/ K5 E1 S/ e( x$ C A hot real-estate market suffers big labor shortage; Office vacancies near zero --- A homeless spell for Mr. Blair 4 M+ J* k( [' ^

/ M( M! [4 P0 ?' j$ ~% _By Jennifer S. Forsyth A1; O, u2 Q' ^" }& g3 s( ]

) v3 |7 W; x' W& HCALGARY, Alberta -- In this Canadian city flush with new oil riches, residents drive 600 miles west to Vancouver to purchase Ferraris and Maseratis. At the upscale Living Room restaurant, patrons who two years ago ordered $80 bottles of wine have traded up to $300 vintages. This month, a two-bedroom house in the pastoral southwest part of town went on the market for $12 million -- by far the highest price ever sought for a home in the Calgary city limits. 8 O5 a4 `. Z  u
3 M! o! A/ I: b* ?# `' P
But the oil boom is overwhelming Calgary, a city of one million famous for hosting the 1988 Winter Olympics. Amid an extreme labor shortage, a lack of affordable housing has increased the homeless population to about 3,500 -- a 32% jump in just two years. Companies are elbowing each other out of the way for office space. Developers, stung by higher costs, are planning few new buildings to ease the crunch.
, }$ \3 S4 g% ]3 g7 m4 ~8 q& Z  u! _! S4 h# J3 ~% Q. M
Josh White, president of Calgary Urban Initiative, an advocacy group, notes that while plenty of laborers have moved here to find work, some are forced into hotels and tents. "We're a prosperous city but we're growing shanty towns around us like a third-world country," he says. * d; [0 B% R4 w! h

9 w+ V/ K2 ^! t, I7 b* C# uPeter Blair lost his apartment lease in June, he says, when his landlord cashed out of her rental property investment after just one year. Mr. Blair, a busy 43-year-old painter and construction foreman, ended up homeless. Eventually, he pitched a tent at the KOA Kampground on Calgary's west side. 9 }; A7 {3 `% t8 a7 k  K
: R8 Z0 j/ F; ^* k$ U. I6 X
"Money isn't the problem," said Mr. Blair recently, showing off the $1,800 Canadian he carried around in hopes of finding a new lease. "Getting the place is the problem."
4 M- F! i$ D! A! t# A( d" B* U: B+ m7 L6 x
In the past year, 25,000 people moved here -- about 70 people a day. Demand for property, both residential and commercial, has far outstripped supply. ! O& \2 V" m2 z

% D8 p7 c0 C0 @1 ^0 GBut even with all the newcomers streaming in, the city still doesn't have all the workers that it needs -- and won't for many years to come. The Conference Board of Canada recently estimated that Alberta will face a shortfall of 332,000 workers by 2025. & w: p5 I% `& f% T, g& ~  S
" a2 m  R+ z5 A' V5 P& P- [
As the front-office headquarters for Canada's oil and gas industry, Calgary is the gateway to one of the world's greatest petroleum troves: the tar sands of Alberta Province. Companies have only recently begun to tap these oil-rich mineral deposits in earnest, as the tripling of crude to above $70 a barrel in recent years has set off a black-gold rush here. The city is being swept up in what is expected to be one of the energy industry's largest capital-investment blitzes ever, joining the likes of Moscow and Riyadh.
, M0 l8 v/ t( Y0 G$ K" r. e' Z8 S. o6 m0 Z$ a5 \0 h9 h
Shell, Chevron, Petro-Canada Centre and BP are just a few of the big names that adorn the city's skyscrapers. On a clear day, oil executives can look out their windows on the west side and see the Canadian Rockies looming just beyond the prairie. 1 t0 {: P) |8 P- r4 e

" k  {6 s1 z" e  {1 G* o" wOil-sands extraction is an expensive process and can only be justified if prices remain relatively high. The industry's investment in the oil fields is expected to total about $100 billion over the next decade, according to the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.   x! |& x  p, ?

" B$ G& b( ?0 J% i3 S8 ~The surging economy, along with relatively low interest rates, has made Calgary one of the hottest real-estate markets in the world. While many first-time homebuyers have been boxed out of the market, they're outnumbered by oil-industry newcomers who don't flinch at the higher prices. ; w, z3 _# F" V( U3 X% z- Q4 X  q
2 @1 s6 O" j+ r% J3 I2 r+ I/ {
When Marla Nystrom-Smith, 30, and her husband Tyler Smith, 29, an actuary, put their three-bedroom condominium on the market in February, 40 potential buyers materialized in a day. Five, they say, made offers -- all above the $234,900 asking price. $ ~+ j! w0 l7 }  ^
" H* q9 j* s1 i% n# v
"It could have sold in a day but we were out of town," said Mrs. Nystrom-Smith, who stays home with the couple's baby son.
7 O8 M6 W3 G/ e! `# @* d
. ]( K) _* v1 p5 C! J. B2 TRyan Ockey, chief executive of the Cardel Group, a large homebuilder, says escalating new-house costs -- for materials, land, and subcontractors -- help to explain the higher prices. A 2,000-square foot, three-bedroom, two-bath Cardel home in July 2005 would have sold for between $285,000 and $295,000. A year later, that same home fetched between $395,000 and $415,000. ( Z0 b5 B: v& w: L& U& ^+ u
9 o5 G$ |* i$ D: `/ F9 [/ T
Commercial office space is also tight. Calgary's office vacancy rate, at about one-half percent, is among the lowest of any city in the world, according to CB Richard Ellis, a real-estate-services firm. The city currently has about 46 million square-feet of commercial space. That dwarfs the 14 million square-feet in Oklahoma City, which has a comparable metro-area population. While four office towers are scheduled to open next year, all of that space is already leased. The offices those tenants are vacating are also already spoken for.
# ?0 y* u( l' J2 w, S' z  o( R  y
With a dearth of construction workers and a slow permitting process, it can take three years to put up a new building in downtown Calgary. Workers across Canada often snub traditional construction gigs in favor of jobs in the oil sands 400 miles north of Calgary. Jobs there pay more and offer incentives such as free flights home each month.
) b* R! l# p+ {" S! m- v
+ W: R9 y- M. c% H5 J6 @  OThe labor that is available is becoming more expensive. Construction supervisors in Calgary who made $65,000 last year can now command $95,000 from rival construction companies desperate for experienced managers. Even unskilled workers have seen their wages jump in similar proportions, Mr. Ockey and others say. # `4 `; w6 x0 @) S( n" C

0 l7 }$ `* P  d4 }1 _( e0 T6 E8 ?5 tDevelopers have applied for permits on 12 additional office buildings downtown, though only six projects are moving forward so far. "Not soon enough," says Greg Kwong, a Calgary-based regional managing director for CB Richard Ellis. "We're playing catch-up now. Everything happened so quickly." ! G% b  ~! s8 F/ f& r" n1 C

/ Q+ M6 _$ O9 DBecause most commercial space is signed for long-term lease, usually five or 10 years, a company looking for an office in 1994 could have found top-quality space for $6 to $8 a foot. Ten years later, in 2004, those same digs would have cost around $20 per square foot. But if a prospective tenant dallied and waited until mid-2005, Mr. Kwong says, the sticker shock would have been greater still: about $30 per square foot.
* |9 u* m" ]$ v. P9 D% w
8 y3 F# P) d+ m4 T. t6 h( G; ~Labor shortages in Calgary are evident beyond construction. Tim Hortons, a venerable Canada doughnut chain, has closed its dining rooms in the evenings and is offering only drive-through service at some Alberta locations, due to a lack of workers. Avocado Fresh Mexican Grill, a new restaurant on the west side of Calgary, offered a $500 retention bonus to employees who stayed three months. Calgary's building and planning department is struggling to fill 66 new positions -- a staffing hole that has delayed construction on some bigger projects. - C  A, u3 U% \6 v8 R

: `- w/ L0 f* J* LA labor crunch could also end up affecting the oil-sands investment, slowing what has been an accelerated development schedule. Shell Canada and its partners recently announced that the expansion of their Athabasca Oil Sands Project would go forward, despite an estimated jump in costs of as much as 60% since last fall. Adding to the tab: prices for labor, materials and equipment.
# U+ [( ~7 Z! F* g9 j0 x: \
% B" K9 B+ W. j" e+ M* H+ b% Y) xIf this were a classic boom, the demand for space would cause developers to throw up new office buildings, even with no tenants lined up. That happened in the 1970s. But by 1986, the world market price for a barrel of oil dropped to about $14 per barrel -- leaving Calgary with an office glut that lasted almost 20 years.
  ?* S! r3 y" h9 \) s2 ]1 f
: o& C) R' T& T( U"For two decades, 'developer' was a dirty word," says Scott Hutcheson, chief executive of Aspen Properties Ltd., a Calgary-based real-estate investment firm. 8 K% i$ l+ @1 M  |1 u9 ~) p, f
4 v& q0 m4 h9 m8 l6 c) m
This time, cautious developers didn't dive in until very late. Those who were inclined to build found a more-rigorous permit process and conservative lending environment. Then suddenly, caught short by the rapid economic upturn, developers couldn't react fast enough. That helps to explain why Calgary's office vacancy rate is even lower than San Francisco's during the tech frenzy of the 1990s. 6 j9 `* G1 E4 j2 U# Q
6 H: `3 D1 r  w* n! Z' Y
Builders across the US also have seen construction costs rise. China was sopping up concrete for a while. The Gulf Coast was corralling wood and drywall after Hurricane Katrina. Calgary's problems are in a different league. A commercial building that would have cost $250 a square-foot to erect in 2004 costs $510 a square-foot today. Such inflation makes some developers wonder whether they will make the returns needed to justify construction. 6 `# t4 @' G* H+ [8 B  V+ j6 D

* O3 U5 D7 i1 w7 R( ^Dave Sharpe, a project coordinator and estimator for Total Commercial Construction Inc. in Calgary, says the company will carefully monitor cost increases over the next five years as it evaluates projects.
( E' s% n2 g4 W( g9 a8 m7 @# ^+ ?* p+ [( \8 T7 Q! ^
In the home market, demand has been so great that several large builders have limited the number of contracts they will accept after getting behind on construction last summer. Others are turning away business as rising costs eat into profits.
1 ^- o& u& R; P5 `7 c' b3 f: R! @- a6 J+ Y# `
In January, AlanRidge Homes was faced with the prospect of losing $1 million on the 38 new luxury homes it had under contract, amid increasing costs and delays. The company refunded deposits on the contracts and called a hiatus on building until prices stabilized. "We just decided this is insane," says Don Howie, the company's chief executive.
" X8 ^  N- i# N# z% t) `2 q/ a! \& R0 I, w
Mr. Kwong of CB Richard Ellis made a deposit for his own new condominium in June of 2005. He recently got a letter from the developer, who said he couldn't afford to build the complex for the contracted prices. Mr. Kwong was asked to cancel his contract or agree to pay a higher price for the unit. He canceled. "I don't have faith that there won't be another cost increase," he says.
8 ?' a+ @( H5 q/ \1 e0 j* Z- J
2 w* x0 z! H9 e2 L- wMemories of the bust that followed Calgary's last big boom in the late 1970s still loom for developers. The Alberta economy slammed to a halt in 1981, in part due to a federal national energy policy that kept the price of oil in Canada below world market rates in an effort to promote self-sufficiency. The policy ended up mainly benefiting Toronto- and Montreal-based companies, hurting oil-dependent Alberta.
8 N$ a( B& A4 m8 u+ j4 c2 z/ `3 n) i- N( }* c
Housing prices in Calgary that had increased 400% from 1971 to 1980 tumbled 35% in three years. To Calgary old-timers, the recent run-up in prices, the cry for workers and the new wealth all look frighteningly familiar. "The question I've been hearing a lot is: 'Will it be 1981 again?'" says Kevin Clark, president of the Calgary Real Estate Board, a cooperative of local real-estate agents.
5 P7 g, L- a7 f  F3 D7 e+ |4 S" l
4 b# u; _" F3 p% }This time, a bust may not be inevitable. Many people say that the investment in the oil sands is long-term, based on the bet that the world's thirst for oil will continue to prop up prices, even if the current per-barrel price drops somewhat. ! z* \$ Z$ n7 A. b$ Y4 f' l0 k" s

2 e, A: W/ x$ X0 Y5 hTom Farley, president and chief operating officer of Brookfield Properties Corp.'s Canadian Commercial Operations, says his company predicts that it will take another four years for Calgary to return to a "balanced" market: one where neither tenants nor landlords have an undue advantage. That forecast, however, assumes that all 12 planned office buildings actually go up.
1 j0 T% x) F. ~
6 q2 C+ O0 m2 V4 i8 W. b2 XMeanwhile, Shell Canada Ltd., which is 78%-owned by Royal Dutch Shell, is doubling up employees -- two per office. It has leased new space, but some of it is in a building that won't be completed until next year. 2 _7 f0 i1 I% Y- M4 ]

; J! k% s& ]. |9 T0 e' IAs for Mr. Blair, the painting foreman living in a tent, he finally secured an apartment for $835 a month. His new lease begins on Sept. 1, after three months of homelessness. He's leaving behind many others in tents who continue to look for better shelter before the start of another Calgary winter, where temperatures can drop to 33 degrees below zero Fahrenheit.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-24 20:27 | 显示全部楼层
首先说一下,我的英文很差,其实中文也很差。下面的内容,还称不上是翻译。$ N1 i0 p4 g+ W

1 M+ b7 X; J, a/ y! H3 x0 Q. Q7 M现在全加拿大看上去最有钱的大概要数卡尔加里的石油新贵们。在温哥华海岸一掷千金买豪华游艇的是他们,在卡尔加里哄抬房价的也是他们。难怪在其他省份的人的眼里,卡尔加里好像遍地是黄金,不知从何时起,卡尔加里成为现代淘金热的中心。% f0 m. W0 g: m& E# ^

0 i7 E9 j# T( J# S" V随着世界原油价格的步步攀升,阿尔伯塔的黑色金矿油砂开发利润可观,油砂开采价值日益凸现,越来越多的石油公司将总部设在这个城市。劳动力的短缺迫使各个公司不得不以提高工资来吸引更多员工。去年一个建筑工地监工的年薪是六万五千元左右,而今年涨到九万五千,即使是这样的高薪,要雇到一个有经验的员工也不容易。事实上,很多公司很无奈地付高薪挽留非熟练工。短缺的劳动力不仅表现在石油和建筑行业,在卡尔加里满眼都是雇人的招牌,一个普通收银员的小时工资也比去年涨了2、3元。
' q3 M3 z* I! S$ H/ M1 Y6 u" Z
2 {; A0 l- W/ X6 K; L尽管从其它省份吸收了大量工人,卡尔加里的劳动力缺口依然很大。据加拿大商会(The Conference Board of Canada)最新估计,到2025年阿尔伯塔的劳动力缺口将多达到33万。
- \# W0 V  o  U( D6 C7 p- K' n
" X8 T0 k! {3 H1 W+ `6 g2 J但是蜂拥而至的人们到了这里,才发现生活并不如想象的那样美好。是的,这里劳动力大量紧缺,找到一份工作似乎完全没有问题。但是,在卡尔加里安居乐业并非易事,实在是千金易求,一房难得。7 @* z) F$ ^- s0 p3 C: C( f; U
8 w+ K1 @3 m" {! c( U
联想到前些时候的人口统计数字,阿尔伯塔的人口增长是全国平均的3倍,而另外7个省人口负增长,明眼人当然一眼就能看出其他省份的人都流失到哪里去淘金了。作为淘金热中之热的卡尔加里,在过去的一年里涌入人口达25,000,平均每天70人。* I4 x% z) O+ y! O; k8 K# G
  ~$ B1 a. S" @, P
炙手可热的经济形势加上相对较低的利率,使卡尔加里成为世界上最火爆的楼市之一。当地本打算买房的首次买房者因为实力比不过石油新贵们,首当其冲地成为房价暴涨成为牺牲品。去年7月份售价仅为29万的180平方米左右3卧2厕的新房,如今售价已经在40万以上。相当一部分新来者因为租不到合适的房子,居住条件极为艰苦,一时间卡尔加里无家可归者的人数达3500人,比两年前骤升32%。
' Q, f/ t: N! n! r6 z$ ]- b* T4 h
普通住宅价格飞涨,办公楼争夺也达到白热化的程度。现在卡尔加里办公楼好像永远不够用,尽管4幢高层办公楼将在明年开始使用,但所有的楼面已经被预订一空,甚至连那些因为搬新楼而即将被空出来的旧楼也被租得差不多了。目前卡尔加里的办公楼空置率仅为半个百分点,大概是全球最低吧。
6 T; P8 |  `- ^
9 p; ~0 H0 Z, f9 A" d: o7 z3 S虽然房产需求增加,看上去象是轮到了地产开发商们的好日子,但事实上地产开发商们并不敢急于求进,高额的建设费用也让他们叫苦不迭。在2004年,每平方米的商业建筑成本大约是2800元,而现在是5600元。翻倍的成本使得房产开发商几乎无利可图,甚至亏损。因为有些售房合同是开工前就签了,价格已经锁定,无法随成本上升而提高售价。
2 X' B# f9 @9 A" Y1 K( F; [5 }: Q  [' {6 x% y. n8 |$ d1 c
住宅市场也一样,几个大建筑商们并不因为大量需求而扩大生产,而且,为了减少风险,他们还限制开工数量,以防止成本继续大幅度上升造成亏损。那些早就签好价格锁定合同的未来业主自然不用担心,不过没有签订类似合同的人们却要面临这样的选择:要么终止购房和约,要么接受建筑商提出的更高房价。/ l8 [% ~9 u$ d7 w; f) d
6 f) L) e2 _2 t- c
强势经济引发大量劳动力短缺,然后大量人口涌入导致楼市火爆,这样的情形似乎在重现二、三十年前的那段历史。在1971年至1980年的十年里,卡尔加里房价上升400%,随后在三年内跌去35%。对于1981、1982年那段时间的暴跌,许多卡尔加里老市民们至今还心有余悸。面对相似的情形,人们有理由担心:1981年会不会重来?
" N9 @$ g& V9 O$ `$ Q
4 M* t' s8 X  k/ l, w7 H/ ~比较乐观的看法是,因为现在对石油项目的投资是长期性的,而不是赌油价仍然会飞涨,所以只要能审时度事,掌握平衡,即使油价略有下降,经济仍然可以健康发展。# L# G6 B6 X( ^$ Z' `( p' a

. G1 B1 E( k; W9 i2 `- W9 t平衡发展当然是大多数人愿意看到的。如今的卡尔加里人车拥挤,物价、尤其是房价飞涨,无论租房、幼托还是就医,都要排长队。不仅是卡尔加里,阿尔伯塔的首府埃德蒙顿的情形也差不多。如果不考虑就业因素,这里显然已经不是安居乐业的好去处。有预测说,重新回到平衡点至少需要四年时间。想到还要忍受四年这样的混乱,心里不免有些发毛。不过,如果四年以后,一切真的可以平平和和地过渡到正常,不要发生什么危机,还可以享受经济发展带来的好处,倒还是值得。
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-2-24 21:00 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-2-24 21:08 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
原帖由 Homework 于 2007-2-24 20:27 发表7 _0 A1 a0 [% `* [9 {& m' ?
首先说一下,我的英文很差,其实中文也很差。下面的内容,还称不上是翻译。
: ]/ _9 b1 `9 ]+ j3 E6 W% `! _( v5 T) L, I+ J
现在全加拿大看上去最有钱的大概要数卡尔加里的石油新贵们。在温哥华海岸一掷千金买豪华游艇的是他们,在卡尔加里哄抬房价的也是他 ...
: S( C9 ]5 a0 H: x
' Z' M, r/ t/ J6 d" n

8 `5 \* o$ L! U+ X# K% I$ ^佩服楼主的功力和热心。
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-2-24 23:15 | 显示全部楼层
楼主的英文和中文都相当的厉害.
鲜花(49) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-2-25 00:35 | 显示全部楼层
这么多功夫,怎么楼主的金币还是负数?  鲜花!
鲜花(49) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-2-25 00:38 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
交了35%税,有没有退税的机会啊?* j& ^' g7 O# |" C
, ]6 N" Y& i8 Q) W0 n; {3 m
鲜花(49) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-2-25 00:45 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-2-25 06:13 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
谢谢楼主的好文
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-25 09:36 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
多谢多谢。那个老杨非赖我“情场得意”,巧取豪夺。幸亏兄台仗义,不然在下还在苦海里挣扎。
& ?) \* M  w- h: ]5 n. [7 _* x  x
. N: F9 t6 g- @% r( f& W+ K; W7 y奇怪!兄台也被扣上了“情场得意”的帽子 .../ B0 m" L! H/ i: O3 _
1 d8 T. H* }# m+ y+ s
原帖由 CANDYMAN 于 2007-2-25 00:35 发表- }- h* J/ Q! Y6 y
这么多功夫,怎么楼主的金币还是负数?  鲜花!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-25 09:37 | 显示全部楼层
不明白。不是我扣的。, Q, C7 J. e8 w  s
原帖由 CANDYMAN 于 2007-2-25 00:38 发表  E: |: `  q& e" Z+ O& ]
交了35%税,有没有退税的机会啊?& W0 C4 |  l/ M& d4 D6 X
6 C! ^: w" u) N( J
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-25 09:39 | 显示全部楼层

回复 #9 dage 的帖子

呵呵,文章虽老,却涉及了几个和楼市有关的热门话题。
1 c. E& b6 _5 z7 k% T% M
- W: A4 @3 d, v% B" A9 g  ^1 B1 y& H人口流入:供需的变化5 z5 c& ?% U6 Z# }9 T  }
材料和人工成本:成本和售价永远有关系
6 @, u1 L! g1 j4 U) f; E2 n: J- J1 [7 N就业与收入:买方的承受能力
2 g1 v- V! {" i" v: u历史回顾:70、80年代的大起大伏5 ]: Y% A- }, Q
前景展望:希望生活变得更好
$ N7 F4 M0 C, D9 e
1 p1 M# Y" t& R8 \; s! E" B子曰:温故而知新,可以为师矣。3 b2 E! N+ g( `, `. |
共勉。
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-26 22:21 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
卡尔加里的故事暂时说完了,算是给各位递个拜山贴。
( i7 m' N) w0 f7 G5 r+ c* M有没有哪位大侠唠唠埃德蒙顿的故事?. e8 j( b5 w) T/ v7 D4 W
2006年来了多少人?- x4 `" Y  [! o* i! g/ P! t
办公楼的空置率如何?
1 g" V& N4 S3 t8 ~  `5 Z; w  w( a工资涨幅怎么样?
/ h" `+ w8 A9 f4 i% J1 N4 D( Z租房市场怎么样?
+ M8 I3 F* D) J' m4 H等等 ...* V2 Y  @0 z6 q% _/ V6 r1 H

8 [* t' o* _6 I& m/ `$ W# ?9 ~
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-6 19:03 , Processed in 0.206204 second(s), 20 queries , Gzip On, APC On.