本帖最后由 billzhao 于 2015-6-27 19:45 编辑 8 p( W0 `8 c5 O

. I: j: L" W: O4 t' Ghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HTtLHgU9tY
$ V, d, ~) O9 Z) b1 h6 z2 L0 l
& l3 K, a+ ?: o7 i) C* _4 b# l  ~0 y6 c8 q; a; _6 ~* g
CNN documentary
/ ?% x' R# P& _% x- Y8 L" l- j" R) ?7 H
New documentary explores Jonestown mass suicide( M/ X' {  X7 b  p8 }- t: i
* d% g+ }; `; v4 s' u! f
Twenty-eight years later, what's left to say about Jonestown? Nine hundred members of a religious cult followed their fanatical leader to Guyana and willingly committed suicide by drinking a Kool-Aid-like mixture laced with cyanide.
8 D6 j" P# ]7 N0 l  s' v% P+ w$ j. z. Y5 [& N
What more could there be to the story? Plenty, it turns out.
1 B# \' }. O: P% a7 ]& \I watched an advance copy of the new documentary, "Jonestown," by filmmaker Stanley Nelson on Sunday, and found myself drawn deeply into a macabre tale that I had little prior knowledge of.: A+ u7 @( c6 p# _- B. ^* `: }
! i( A* ?& m5 m7 d; ?- k( |, n- c7 m
Nelson interviewed more than two dozen former members of Jim Jones' controversial Peoples Temple, including some who survived the Jonestown mass suicide -- which, by the way, looks more like mass murder now. And Nelson has unearthed dramatic video and sound recordings -- never seen or heard before that shed new light on the establishment, development and downfall of the Peoples Temple, right up until the moment Jim Jones passes out the cups.
# {3 N* S+ e# M2 o# p( k7 G
& |5 c; q6 F  J/ S! }: e$ WThe most chilling part of the film is the audio tape of Jones urging his followers to choose death over persecution. I heard, for the first time, the emotionally-pitched debate between Jones and parishioners who would rather live than die in the South American jungle. It was like a scene out of Apocalypse Now, only this time, the killing was real.
* d" i7 q* @+ _1 ?: C/ W+ \# O5 Q2 k
I also learned that Jim Jones didn't suddenly take a hard left onto the highway of darkness. He was deeply disturbed from childhood, and is even suspected of abusing animals, something many experts believe is a hallmark of an emerging psychopath.
/ x7 U* B$ t" Q. S/ h; U) @( e, O3 k( [& h
What's most tragic though is that Jones' followers don't come off as a cult of religious deviants. They were -- for the most part -- earnest people, attracted to the Peoples Temple for the sense of community they couldn't find in their own lives. It gave them a feeling of belonging, though as the years wore on and Jones' insanity escalated, membership came at an ever-increasing, and in the end, ultimate price.$ O) Z* z* J- i3 b! ?9 c7 ]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-3-28 11:02 , Processed in 0.137023 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.