发表于 2006-10-18 10:29 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Rentals cheaper as mortgages climb, study finds
6 ]4 d8 J2 G( V/ ^& W% `  i" V5 S5 IAffordability gap grows  
# |0 j/ U' j5 b- Q' _/ v
& \7 w# R5 x7 ]3 f+ Z/ hFinancial Post
! G3 J( ?% e* [Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2006
( {, c4 Q5 W( |9 M% R: A7 a9 t' w6 Y( M/ f" W, }; `
Why own a house when you can rent the same property for a lot less?& K( T5 ?9 w$ Q6 b+ G+ j
1 x4 ]- _1 e* G
A new study from Bank of Nova Scotia says the pendulum has swung back in favour of tenants.  a) E& m, N& }( _
$ R( v* q. m' h; @9 h, P
"The affordability gap between renting and owning is at its highest level since 1990," said Adrienne Warren, senior economist with the bank.
1 ]) e0 g- ]6 I5 L! v: i3 }; r) i
The study found the average monthly mortgage payment in Canada in 2005 was $1,304 based on a $250,000 house with 10% down payment. That compares with an average rent of $731 for a typical two-bedroom apartment last year. That $573 gap is projected to climb to $800 in 2006.
. H9 \! }+ H3 T5 |" O  W
( ?! ^, k  c( Y$ |7 A( w"This is a fairly typical pattern that you see in housing. As house prices move up, affordability becomes an issue for first-time buyers," said Ms. Warren, adding renting becomes a more viable option.
0 y, U6 o* ?. j; \) Q; B$ l/ S8 f# H2 T( q/ q% ?4 |
The current gap between owning versus renting would be even wider if the Scotiabank report took into consideration home ownership issues such as taxes and general upkeep.
% ?" n" [* g7 d7 F+ s. G. U9 P
Ms. Warren predicts a slowdown in the housing market with a tighter rental market leading to increased rents. "We will see a levelling off of vacancy rates. I don't think we will see landlords offering the same incentives, like free rent for a month," she said.
6 P, ]- i, p4 }( j" ?! g: q+ z7 j* b* r" b& H' N7 V/ ^( x
One problem with the national number is it masks major regional differences, she said. The gap between owning and renting varied wildly across the country from a $31 monthly premium in Winnipeg in 2005 to $1,220 in Vancouver.' J: e9 k6 L: T! G: d* Y
( F" K0 j& g0 i7 Q' O. d1 \" W6 n
Generally though, the trend across the country is home ownership costs are rising faster than rental rates.1 u, ~' x9 B2 j$ ~0 o; A6 O

% R2 j7 v6 ], gBetween 2000 and 2005, rental costs have increased nationwide at a 1.3% annual pace. During the same period, home ownership costs nationwide increased 2.7% annually.
. Y1 i5 H8 a$ ~% r  U5 z
: y% C' B7 |/ H% ?; n- `, o+ qOne side affect of declining affordability has been a slew of new mortgage products that have had the effect of lowering the monthly carrying costs of a loan. More and more consumers are buying products that allow them to pay off their mortgage based on a 35-year payment plan as opposed to a 25-year plan, which had been the norm for years.
; d0 f7 m8 V8 f
: A3 B# m! p9 i# t4 j  l) X9 U# xMs. Warren noted that the $1,304 monthly mortgage costs for a $250,000 home with a $25,000 down payment would go down to $1,073 per month under a 35-year plan.
$ Y8 W2 c1 {4 ?' L# z* h2 B/ x5 l" L3 [& s8 h
Real estate author Don Campbell said there is no question renting has become a better deal for consumers over the last few years. "When interest rates come back down, the pendulum will swing back to the homeowner," he said.
: q/ R3 L$ a. |: B- I1 W8 j: A. I. X) D( U1 E$ g6 _4 [
However, Mr. Campbell said apartments are affected by rent controls in many markets.
- O' @2 _6 Q: B. G
4 y" i; @3 U. r. I"In markets in the West, where it is not as controlled, rental rates are starting to take off. A two-bedroom unit in a 1970 building in Fort McMurray is $1,500, and that's in the middle of nowhere. Even basic townhouses in Edmonton that rented for $800 last year are up over $1,000," he said.
* a3 L& k! H9 F3 P5 y8 m( F$ R7 K3 h

, R$ {; K6 M; ?Disclaimer: This is just published research data and do not express my position.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-5 04:29 , Processed in 0.273239 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.