找回密码
 注册
查看: 2394|回复: 1

Going the extra miles: extend the life of your car and save thousands

[复制链接]
鲜花(9) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2005-2-15 19:40 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Would you like to save $10,000 over the life of your car? It's as simple as changing your oil, rotating your tires and driving smart. Routine chores like this keep your car in tip-top shape. That can enable you to drive it for a few extra years — which, in turn, delivers far more in savings than you may realize. According to a study by the management consultants Runzheimer International, trading in your vehicle every eight years instead of every four saves you more than $3,277 in each of the last four years, even taking into account the cost of repairs.0 {- S- L$ ~' a7 t9 f, K8 R: S

" x% d, T4 I: x/ d- X5 g2 g9 M0 `The key to getting those extra years of automotive life is doing small things regularly. Kirk Robinson, owner-operator of Robinson Automotive in Mississauga, Ont., acknowledges that a few large repairs are an inevitable part of owning an aging car — for instance, you can expect to replace front pads and rotors on your brakes after 50,000 km or about three years, and your battery shortly after the fifth year. But a regular cycle of modest preventive maintenance costs only about $500 a year. Better yet, it doesn't have to take a lot of your time. Check out this affordable, hassle free maintenance program that should fit into anyone's schedule:
! k  L2 w2 v0 h: v. K5 c2 w0 F6 n" `( L; h+ e
Change the oil and filter
1 p! U0 x2 n! {0 u. e9 {' l. k- ?4 x& T* O+ Z; _
At $40 a shot, an oil change is one of the cheapest and most profitable investments you can make. Regular oil changes improve your gas mileage and protect your engine. "If you drive 20,000 km — which most people do in a year — without an oil change, you're going to do some damage to your engine," says Robinson. Since the average cost for a new engine is $4,000, your payback on a lube job is obvious. If you need an added incentive, some of the express oil-change places even give you a newspaper and a cappuccino while you wait.6 f$ y% v: C9 g, f: A4 a
: {# M. x/ J& E. ]* t9 q
FREQUENCY: For most cars, count on an oil change every 5,000 km, or four times a year. Annual price tag: $160.
9 ?" @$ D0 ~0 _- h. Q0 ^
$ Y# g* W6 q2 a1 a6 jWash your car3 H" B& f& s6 T+ m/ T
5 Q* j* O! k  f+ k5 a
Road salt, sludge and pollution can eat deep into your gleaming new vehicle and lead to costly body work. Without regular cleaning, you're likely to notice rust blooming on the bottom of your doors within four years. Another three to four years and the corrosion will creep to underbody components like brake lines. If you neglect regular car washes, "you can end up spending thousands in rust-related repairs," says Robinson.: W1 H: {$ U8 M, t, U& N2 F7 g
  z# z. J8 {& a2 f; d7 y
FREQUENCY: "At least once every two weeks," suggests Lisa Christensen, a licensed mechanic and author of Clueless About Cars (Key Porter, 2004). It's important to stay on top of salt and dirt in winter and spring, but don't slack off in the summer either. Annual price tag: do it yourself and it's free.
$ M$ ?+ K0 I* c! _
4 s5 k! O, }4 {. m. H1 j5 M2 Q- q( @) l0 l' y
0 e+ F& c$ Y+ o' e' H# |3 @
Rotate the tires
$ W: K+ b  K, \( ~( w& U/ B0 b' R7 K& y
Regularly removing your tires and changing their position reduces uneven wear and extends tread life. That translates into major savings, since you can wear out a set of tires (average cost: $500) in only 20,000 km if you're careless.( E( b" r. O$ e1 M8 Z# [& S

& V* a0 L) K* [; M6 n4 aFREQUENCY: Twice a year or every 10,000 km. Annual price tag: $40. (Some tire dealers will include free regular rotation when you buy a full set.)/ j. j! K+ E) f. t7 Y

# K) [! X' J" h- Z. P8 Z+ qKeep your tires inflated
7 y* g) k' }; c0 {
  U) Y% c& i7 _" @5 o1 k( P"Four out of five cars are running with one or more underinflated tires," says George Iny, president of the Automobile Protection Association, a Montreal-based consumer watchdog. Underinflated tires will reduce your tire life by at least 15%, as well as slightly increase your fuel consumption.
2 I  S3 c4 B) A9 X
4 ~! \. {# a. Y* c& ?FREQUENCY: Check your tire pressure every other time you fill up. Annual price tag: Free.
4 r4 y( R( @: a
0 ^: ]0 j+ i7 z5 [( [- lDon't let your car idle too long
5 {" j/ h5 ?" w/ V$ p4 I( J; r% Q* H6 a- l& ~3 r
Contrary to popular wisdom, you shouldn't run your engine for more than two or three minutes after you start up, especially if it's cold. Then drive off slowly — because even if your engine is hot, your transmission will still be cold. Says Christensen: "If you take off like a bat out of hell, your transmission is going to get a shock."# y- d7 E# v' h( |

7 F0 u, d0 A7 K( ^! aANNUAL PRICE TAG: Free.8 l# E# ^7 c- o% ^
+ o4 y: R$ X: K2 _" Z
Get your fluids flushed
/ e- w4 W: X$ L) D+ |4 |2 ]& M9 s5 T! c  y
A few liquids are key to your car's operation and it pays to keep them fresh. Changing your power steering fluid ($50) prevents a buildup of sludge and varnish that can affect handling. Changing your brake fluid ($100) helps to lengthen your brake life from two years to three or more. Finally, changing your transmission fluid ($200) is "cheap compared to paying $2,000 to $3,000 for a new transmission," says Robinson.
1 ?5 I; `' P8 X4 M$ J, K" w$ p! @
FREQUENCY: Every two years for all three. Annual price tag: $175.7 p3 Q( T' ?3 R% T3 U, Z: S7 w

0 z7 S; }; [$ g& Y  i2 qFlush the cooling system. y6 l/ h2 B, L' `. a
; ~1 k- k1 h- _) ?
Draining and replacing the coolant in your radiator ($100) can save you money by protecting the components and preventing corrosion.
* I" r9 e; @. c- ?' W% g
( }, A4 z) |5 e! H! R0 OFREQUENCY: Every two years, although the long-life coolant that now comes with many new vehicles extends it to every 80,000 km or five years. Annual price tag: $50 maximum.1 L$ D' h% i( z
% `5 q# T  _1 ^/ f' o4 r3 _
Use your parking brake
: ~7 E* M: c: @5 \; c
+ P4 ~# l) i4 n4 a- U6 eEven if you're driving an automatic, Christensen advises using your parking brake regularly, especially if you're parked on an incline. It helps keep the brakes adjusted in the rear of the car and makes them last longer.* G8 {/ r' o; t0 M2 v

: e, ]* C% m" x" O- R$ @! IANNUAL PRICE TAG: Free.3 `4 V- [! Z2 U3 y  ?: Z) F# K7 J
$ |& r7 e" N3 O; ?
So how much time does all this maintenance take? As a rule of thumb, you should plan to set aside about a half-hour for an oil change every three to four months. At some garages. you can have the tires rotated at the same time. Bank on perhaps another two to three hours once a year for extra servicing, suggests Robinson. That's a small investment in time for a vehicle that will chew up the road rather than your cash." t# L* G: u! S9 `5 D* T$ ^8 s2 h
/ R9 q- u" \* T2 I+ Q0 o
[ Last edited by 社员都是向阳花 on 2005-2-15 at 08:04 PM ]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2005-2-17 19:05 | 显示全部楼层
Those are very good tips for vehicle maintenance ! Some of these, I am done. :D
大型搬家
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-4 00:31 , Processed in 0.153781 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On, APC On.