查看: 3920|回复: 0

Two Choices

[复制链接]
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-5-12 09:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Two Choices! v; e3 g9 w, w, G
>
% j- q4 E( I$ D% N> What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line,
3 @7 Z( D+ d. \: ~% J; R> there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the( i/ [" {  w. l8 H
> same choice?
& }. W8 j1 {7 O2 }, Q# ^>: o) d; c8 b! |
> At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children,
  W$ E/ [. B4 R4 d9 @# {> the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be
0 ^+ }$ B  d% `+ C> forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated
9 O- V  Y. r3 a5 p> staff, he offered a question:
9 M2 g8 ?6 p- f! a>9 U/ c8 p! w  e$ C
> 'When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is
9 }& F. `- N* @& ~8 z0 b> done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other6 _% i! h, L: I- q  q
> children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the
: @7 o8 W8 W; n. o. ^9 e. D> natural order of things in my son?'/ _( P) Y7 \6 y8 h' Z9 O$ q& z3 e
>
2 h. \8 g' w/ k2 S/ S0 \> The audience was stilled by the query.
1 p7 ?/ T& e1 x& H# j# X6 n7 [2 s>
+ q0 V9 k, l. M/ G1 n> The father continued. 'I believe that when a child like Shay, physically
% M6 {) U( j3 K5 r; y' Z- W> and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize/ I2 B- v) \+ h  q4 x3 v0 o- x9 e, M" L
> true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people
4 |" I3 b# u6 }! ]& }9 o8 m& u. }1 S> treat that child.'/ |0 U/ L0 u3 A# q: H! F5 P
>
4 n2 G* I+ }7 c6 H6 e6 }> Then he told the following story:
: \) s$ L$ w5 u>) K$ a- q$ d2 Z  k) [# S
> Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were% Y- P( K$ T$ G7 j; B
> playing baseball. Shay asked, 'Do you think they'll let me play?' Shay's
( H/ D. T4 l& f% r$ U- `9 i! Q. }: d> father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their2 J' F2 I% k8 O
> team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play,
+ W! @! T  z" y7 ?% d* Y  T+ r> it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be3 \0 v  H; [% Q% y1 Q
> accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.! \- W: A& P8 n4 J) K1 q# ^) P
>  _: E7 q6 H+ M
> Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not+ d. u5 q0 Z4 U0 y
> expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and, U7 A2 o! T7 {. X! @$ `
> said, 'We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I
1 z. S/ }. k& W> guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth2 Y" q, N, F8 q3 {( b5 s5 R
> inning.'( L! O3 J8 u5 C4 C( o, n% G2 z
>
. ]1 K* T/ W. D/ ]' }% Y0 a4 f! R> Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a
1 L- N5 Q3 p( q  u: ^> team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in
! C% n% `( l8 h: u( l3 m- D) X> his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the1 M1 z; U7 y8 X# ]4 o! Z
> bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still
+ G: k6 O) t3 K0 f9 R: o' [4 f- W> behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and7 O: p' U! s% p2 r8 [
> played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was8 g( y' b! O9 |( V& K1 M! u. r
> obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from
7 k+ t0 c+ C2 ^$ B, Y> ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the$ T; i# o+ e' J& A" g+ H
> ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases$ N: E8 E$ g  f
> loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be
1 L6 n9 p& A4 S> next at bat.5 V7 q8 a* a  f' t
>
* p, u1 P& p8 v8 B) i* {> At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the3 k& S8 T0 [/ s
> game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat Everyone knew that a hit was all
: t% Y7 k( T$ g5 S/ Q> but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly,
$ U9 }0 k! s2 Y> much less connect with the ball.
0 H. q# Y" J6 }: J- J> However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the! f) ~/ e7 H2 I2 f
> other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved# D7 k% i5 J4 {9 c, D# l( m
> in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make
- \/ k) U8 I& }# e% t; m, [> contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The% K8 ?7 J% r0 c* K' ?5 @
> pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay.) R7 D6 }3 V0 }% `
> As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball
6 ^0 M2 p$ ?8 W: V8 G0 {; n8 `9 H> right back to the pitcher.6 w/ O! c5 V2 }1 ?2 ~2 f9 g' R
>
6 h: y' U5 e- u: `! v; K$ p6 T! o( n> The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and
3 R; E/ R  g$ V" k  i* ^5 S# F9 x> could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been, J! n+ m. z6 Q
> out and that would have been the end of the game.
* h) m# q8 z& p% {% R/ M: V. I>3 Q1 ~7 R( N8 r/ Y/ i
> Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out
* a: ^& R( Y- |! L5 x; z+ f& _- Y> of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started2 m0 s3 q9 A7 W9 g/ z8 N
> yelling, 'Shay, run to first! Run to first!' Never in his life had Shay ever/ q9 Q$ X7 T9 X  X6 h0 G! `$ |5 B
> run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline,
9 e( V  }- z5 O0 t. P, [> wide-eyed and startled.
- K, ]1 A1 _0 W>
' i2 U, c. s0 u/ e( N7 j> Everyone yelled, 'Run to second, run to second!' Catching his breath, Shay. A; I( `7 H  D' H) _
> awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the5 _- Y+ ]2 ?* x: v
> base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had( t9 D5 B% Z5 ^: K
> the ball ... The smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to; Z0 v- M* [) N  c; @1 w! I% _) N- t
> be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the% p7 J; j1 _- C" b; ~4 L
> second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intention So he,0 E& g2 T. s; F- ^4 A+ @" C
> too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's; F- ^9 T' o3 l
> head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him3 D* H; v' p( |% E  |( ^9 A
> circled the bases toward home.) q( ]. T1 g% {* \# z5 Y2 O4 m: w) k
>
- a9 x8 D  P) X: A' J8 K> All were screaming, 'Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay'7 v" o0 ^! g$ s& ^4 X
>
$ G+ O+ [! U1 z! N( b! H1 z% l> Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by, Y) ?) R/ R/ a! T( h7 i
> turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, 'Run to third!: O- ?2 E' y4 I; t. B0 m) R
> Shay, run to third!'1 j" a- S3 J1 G- w+ o$ @5 y% t
>8 {1 P6 O0 ~+ U( Y
> As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on# k& u+ |  U$ G* B( I8 e' a+ z$ a
> their feet screaming, 'Shay, run home! Run home!' Shay ran to home, stepped
9 |4 Z9 o8 T1 B* U8 T. i5 r> on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the% j0 n0 z5 \8 i; o& F5 y$ o
> game for his team." {6 E  g- a# B5 C' T3 |: N* _1 M
>
" Y& \: q$ G. p4 Y) P8 x/ K; Y> 'That day', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face,% q" r! R, N  G% P2 U( c
> 'the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity
0 N( f6 o  T8 a; N7 L> into this world'.
  ~' m4 g- t+ U' l( e- j8 ?>
+ ?) T1 D. T) W  `% [* x> Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never1 _! ^$ ^9 W/ _7 L
> forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and
$ @7 _% S( }  Q; V/ }> seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!
( u: {; L$ B% J) [8 B! j>& @5 M( I; n) c8 }
> AND NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands of jokes
! R8 U* a  r' j" |' W> through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending
5 n* k* x& e, n7 I7 m> messages about life choices, people hesitate. The crude, vulgar, and often
$ ?# p" G2 w6 j> obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion about decency
; [  |! \3 V0 ?$ c3 v> is too often suppressed in our schools and workplaces.
, ?3 u. R1 o2 A! _) f* s6 j>
: o4 ]) u7 g. e- x, x, H> If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that you're6 g( c) Z9 y! ^
> probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't the
- k% y4 w3 Z5 z# w, a) ~; z> 'appropriate' ones to receive this type of message. Well, the person who
( Y5 ?$ a$ ?. F> sent you this believes that we all can make a difference. We all have6 f/ b2 m6 @  S9 b- f8 v
> thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the 'natural
5 _+ r8 v* J% h# _3 R6 ~; L> order of things.' So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people
1 J3 P1 O8 J! T4 l> present us with a choice: Do we pass along a little spark of love and9 H* |% h$ E$ f7 ~4 y# _
> humanity or do we pass up those opportunities and leave the world a little
( {% F1 o( A9 L/ @( h8 A/ B' w> bit colder in the process?
% M2 a) i2 d. p6 w>
) S4 |& l4 j% B) i" E> A wise man once said every society is judged by
; y. r% \  O1 j6 e7 s> how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them.; ~2 F6 U1 `  Q' `. o; M  Q
>
4 M1 D+ z) p) B$ \& C! e% C> You now have two choices:6 l: Q' Z3 ?8 A7 r+ N
> 1. Delete
3 S2 q4 {: M) d1 {+ {: F> 2. Forward1 _) D* e% F% o+ D9 B  ?7 |4 b( h
>
' X* V; G2 y3 ?4 F3 w5 Q> May your day, be a Shay Day.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-12 00:34 , Processed in 0.293879 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.