& c$ A7 m$ m8 Z4 R) D
- R. Y& u8 K+ u) {0 N  k5 z8 Q; ], m8 U6 M
Edmonton good Calgary better
6 \  }! i8 G1 q9 U; ECanadian cities ranked
/ D" `+ X! S, e1 Q4 `7 j4 ]1 S/ O
By NICKI THOMAS, SUN MEDIA7 c- W& V9 |# U2 W
  Q7 E+ }' Q9 G5 K( ^
, m( ^# H% P" e! I6 M
A new study suggests that while Edmonton is great place to live these days, Calgary is even better. ' E. p1 j7 n4 Q% G$ [7 E+ ~
The recently released study from the Conference Board of Canada – a not-for-profit research organization – rated 27 Canadian cities on their attractiveness based on seven main categories: economy, innovation, environment, education, health, society and housing. . f' B+ @- @8 \" [; I
While both of Alberta’s cities got A-grades, Calgary took the number one spot, with Edmonton coming in fourth behind Toronto and Vancouver.
# w, V/ {: [6 m, r( t& ^7 {“It’s nice to see a sister city acknowledged,” said Coun. Ron Hayter. “But when it comes to innovation and new initiatives, this city is far ahead of other cities.” 0 y( Z6 q! T) |! g% Z6 E
Hayter pointed to Edmonton’s river valley protection policy and the Mayor’s Aboriginal Initiative as two of the city’s accomplishments. / @/ `# `! J6 |: N( u' ^3 }0 ~
“I think we are number one in many areas. We’re on the move because people across Canada are beginning to realize our strength and potential,” he said.
. c2 }  s2 r) t- a. @% uKenn Bur, spokesman for the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation, said myths and misconceptions have hampered the city’s image in the past, but Edmonton is starting to be recognized as a preferred destination. 7 E, A0 {) ]* Q7 C( a& l: W
“We are the forefront of lists rather than at the back of the pack and deservedly so,” he said, adding that Edmonton was recently named Canada’s number one economy by the CIBC World Markets. Hayter added there’s one thing that Edmonton has that the other cities don’t: modesty. 5 {& q4 B6 B9 O9 K
We don’t brag enough about Edmonton,” said Hayter. “In Toronto, people think the world revolves around them. In Calgary, they’re very boastful about everything they have. We’re more laid back.” / i: I) e+ _! B' [! z8 y- N
Trailing Edmonton was Victoria and Ottawa-Gatineau in fifth and sixth place, respectively, while Saint John and Thunder Bay brought up the rear in the 26th and 27th spots. & x+ Z- L/ }: n( {
With files from the Canadian Press + U" l) t2 I1 ]8 n; o, Z9 D, P
nthomas@edmsun.com
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-12-12 19:21 | 显示全部楼层
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-4 10:24 , Processed in 0.227137 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.