发表于 2007-11-4 19:59 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Complex hikes its rents $1,150 a month
: o# Z. [8 A& d& m4 k0 d* h, Q8 I" C( w: u, v" h' U( Y

. G, ]% A3 G: U+ aStories by MATTHEW HEINDL 2 w, k5 p* O8 g) ^
Today staff
! |8 f( p! o0 z- r' v( q  ^, dFriday November 02, 2007
# q: i: D( `* Z, A$ n5 Z% t$ A( Q: Y2 I( G
The owners of River Park Glen shocked tenants worse than any ghost Halloween afternoon: they promised to raise rent more than $1,000 a month next year.) y* Y  S( F& H9 ?# Y/ G
River Park Glen, known for many years under its former moniker the Syncrude Towers, is one of the largest apartment complexes in town with about 500 units, though some are individually owned.
  d9 v: U' H5 r/ v“With this type of hit, even though I work for Syncrude, I may be forced to take a room this late in life,” said Gerald Morrison, who has lived in lower mews for over 20 years. . h1 O$ B; }- h4 t& e
“I always thought Fort McMurray was fair and square, but they’re gouging now.”+ o4 q% j" C$ I4 T7 {
The landlords left a note on tenant doors Wednesday afternoon. The change will be effective on Feb. 1.
4 p7 t' F1 Y5 s, |; t8 I. `Morrison said his three bedroom apartment went from $1,800 to $2,950 without utilities, despite a roof that leaks, carpenter ants, and unpainted walls. Two years ago his rent went from $1,100 to $1,500, and then to $1,800 in February 2007.
6 m: S. @  M$ M9 KDavid Campkin said the 500 sq. ft. one-bedroom apartment he and his wife share in the towers rose from $1,450 to $2,250. He said the condition of the unit is “absolutely appalling” with a carpetless concrete floor and none of the promised security.
( P8 ?/ e1 C: K* D5 ^& L6 M# v. x“I am just livid about this notification I got yesterday,” said Campkin. “(It’s) forcing us to move in the middle of winter, because I can’t afford a 60 per cent rent increase. I don’t work in the oil patch.”6 s0 f3 B6 w$ t; a+ w% D  M. V

{+ j; w$ j; Q$ G5 JManagers at River Park Glen declined to speak to Today on Thursday, directing calls to the owners, Red Deer-based On Site Solutions. On Site Solutions declined to comment on the rent increases when contacted by Today. The company is in the process of replacing the windows and vinyl siding of the buildings in the lower mews.+ g5 X/ I! T" z
There is nothing illegal about raising the rent that high, said Cheryl Cooper, the municipal landlord and tenant advisor. She said she has been receiving calls on the issue, but is able only to advise tenants on their rights and help them with their options.
4 B1 |! D& D; o% d* k5 s/ f" @7 o. D- U. gThe provincial Residential Tenancies Act passed in April requires landlords to give tenants three tenancy months notice before raising rent once per year. River Park Glen appears to have met these conditions..
8 c5 P( a4 `( l8 xThere is no ceiling on rent increases in Alberta.
6 ~2 j5 J8 b7 v8 pCalls have been pouring into local MLA Guy Boutilier’s office. Debbie Hahn said she is referring complaints about “the huge rent increase and unaffordability” to the office of Lloyd Snelgrove, minister for Service Alberta./ _4 X4 U7 z3 ]$ h- E7 C4 R5 e
A representative at Snelgrove’s office said that nothing could be done as River Park Glen is not breaking the law.
' y8 @+ O6 F# }
& E8 h" r' i1 U- Z! u# _. n( l* ySome help is out there  E- o* |) t( @# k. |
( H+ v; t# o7 u* L! ~. X. _
There are avenues to help with new rent.
$ m' z* D& {, ^/ U, FCheryl Cooper of landlord and tenant advisory points to the homeless and eviction prevention fund administered by Alberta Employment, Immigration, and Industry that has money for rental and utility arrears, first month’s rent, damage deposits, or moving costs.
5 X0 M4 H# p1 nCooper said anybody struggling with rent should also be checking in with Wood Buffalo Housing Corporation to put their names on the list., v; y' d5 ]7 |9 m( g, W; k- Z) k
The waiting list for Wood Buffalo Housing is around 400 long, but people should still put their names on the list because those with the most need have first shot said president Bryan Lutes.
5 h  D5 H. h3 f) o$ o" P“The waiting list is made up of four or five different waiting lists, and there are different programs that people can fit into, different opportunities for each level,” he said." b5 |$ S7 d$ S/ @; i# \5 Y. b
WBHDC will open up 32 units for sale in the spring, but the next rental property will not come online for at least another six months after that. “It’s tough, its really really tough,” said Lutes about the Fort McMurray rental market. “We’re trying to build as much as we can as quickly as we can.”
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-11-4 20:35 | 显示全部楼层
I am feeling sorry for those tenants but that is business though!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-11-4 20:55 | 显示全部楼层
I still couldn't believe that 3 bedroom apartment jump from $1800 to $2950 and start at Feb 1, 2008.
6 g; j3 l6 \! f9 u2 G6 Z/ L- @7 {% i: \2 l
500 sq. ft. one-bedroom apartment rose from $1,450 to $2,2501 ]* _  X4 N+ L8 U' t3 B" c
& R; X0 h, z: d) a# ?& F
Holy,
/ C8 W* Y7 e! t( C8 a8 Z, m. R
$ O# y' Z  c2 }8 ?% I1 ]( YJust  unbelievable!
鲜花(10) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-11-5 09:40 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
这就是市场,如果价格高到没人租,它就会降.但不是现在
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-11-5 14:23 | 显示全部楼层
this is in Fort Mcmurray.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-4 07:04 , Processed in 0.332354 second(s), 14 queries , Gzip On, APC On.