注册
查看: 1583|回复: 4

Buyer's marketHome sellers forced to slash prices

[复制链接]
鲜花(15) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-8-28 06:22 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
August 28, 2007 1 ~4 _1 N; Z+ |1 e- w

5 j4 M* D/ X) Y: E0 fBuyer's marketHome sellers forced to slash prices & ^5 J& s8 L" J, d1 @7 Y( n4 B
By FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU
+ T$ u6 ~9 e) Y$ {0 Y% s. E+ \( @: t
Home sellers are slashing their asking prices by tens of thousands of dollars as Edmonton's once sizzling housing market continues to cool, says a city real estate agent. ) `) w5 a( J* m4 p

4 [1 i+ O+ A) h# K# g& IAnd new figures from the Edmonton Real Estate Board show the vast majority of sellers are now getting less than they're asking for - a stark contrast to the bidding wars of a year ago that routinely forced buyers to pay more than the list price.
8 D% Y- H$ h2 a! I
& o1 t' [9 z' c$ x# \"There's tons of stuff on the market. There's twice as much inventory in residential real estate today as there was a year ago at this time," Re/Max agent Abe Hering told Sun Media yesterday. , S) W' f" P6 ]: t3 F1 P5 S
# H, `9 {- w8 H* @6 j4 a* k  q
"If your supply mushrooms tremendously, inevitably the only product that will get consumed is the one that's best priced."
  c# |, P! x6 Y, `
% d, y3 _5 P5 @As a result, Hering said he routinely advises clients who've had their homes on the market for awhile to drop their asking price by 10% in order to remain competitive. On an average $417,000 single-detached home, that works out to more than $40,000.
$ q6 T" c! i& w9 ]
/ F7 Y6 V' D+ P9 L"There's no sense reducing any product by 5% because it just doesn't work. We're seeing reductions of 10% and more," he said. 6 w2 m, W9 {& Q- i! K1 |6 f: L
: M" S+ K( O6 N9 {& Q& ^7 Q0 h$ K5 v
Jon Hall, with the Edmonton Real Estate Board, said 85% of single family homes that sold over the past 30 days went for less than the asking price. On average, the final figure was nearly $12,000 less than the seller was seeking. 4 ]+ ^1 q) V& T/ S+ V

2 z; G* P2 `: y+ V. H. H% nCondos didn't fair much better, with 79% going for less than the asking price.
! r2 p/ g; h# q7 S% K) Q  H2 D5 h9 N4 E9 m6 @
"What most realtors seem to be saying is that the sellers haven't adjusted their mindset to the new reality - that we have over 8,000 listings and that buyers have choice," Hall said. 4 C5 m* o1 S( T
' |/ Q  v3 v* C/ G1 C3 z0 V+ B
He said many sellers are knowingly asking for more than their home can fetch.
4 D0 S4 D! y" ~  u# H$ r( W
; a2 M2 e5 Z6 F# w; S  A"And quite frankly, the realtors are getting a bit frustrated," Hall said. % H1 G9 w3 T" p+ D( J4 b: r0 O
1 G# ~" B. a, b8 B+ k/ e5 v3 a: x
"The client sets the price. If the seller says, 'I want it listed $20,000 above the market price,' they've got to do it. Ten days or two weeks later, the realtor's coming back and saying, 'I told you so,' and dropping the price."
" t2 X7 b% G% r, H& O# X
- D/ e2 z+ [6 B- n  D/ j: P3 _There are several theories as to why there are so many homes on the market. ( }+ y& v8 ~+ S7 G( X  k5 D$ u1 [
- `0 R2 D0 e5 C/ G* V. A! V5 T( d
Carolyn Pratt, president of the Realtors Association of Edmonton, said some investors are trying to dump property. . k4 a: y" @& [2 u7 g5 W

9 p8 k2 }% Y) \" Z' s  |" X6 [Other people are moving into larger or smaller homes, while trying to capitalize on the market. Some sellers like to list during the summer months, she said. ; E8 d+ Q/ e! p% Z& L3 u
! A) D, R; v% I" F6 M
Pratt said she's also heard some homeowners cashing out and moving back to their home provinces, like Saskatchewan, where homes are cheaper.
7 P6 ]. n) E" x( O4 m3 i# A; X# L4 E& i6 J* H
Keith Mackie, fleet director for Budget Rent-a-Car, sees it every day. He said demand for moving trucks going to Saskatchewan from Alberta and B.C. has recently increased three-fold.
: i3 D3 @* X" m4 j7 `. H6 e/ a) g3 x( ?* r- B4 k  K
"It seems like a lot of people are going home," said Mackie. "There's no doubt about it, it's a significant number."
7 O. p3 U3 k& ?0 ^6 E/ Q9 x, A/ N8 J& Z# f+ F
Hall said many sellers with homes on the market in Edmonton today won't sell. & s' ?' J% u- w) I: y, b0 ^

{/ |* W$ n3 ?) q$ ^"It would be fair to say a lot of listings will melt. They'll just disappear," Hall said. "They'll just be withdrawn after a typical 60- or 90-day listing period."
/ d1 H$ q! h" m7 K4 t
3 B, n! N* w0 B$ ?+ DThe Edmonton Real Estate Board recently reported there was virtually no increase in the selling price of single family residence in July. That month, condo prices went up 2.5%, while townhomes increased 1%. The figures for August are expected to be released early next month.
鲜花(22) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-8-28 09:44 | 显示全部楼层

回复 #1 Magrath 的帖子

Good news, thanks for sharing.
鲜花(4) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-8-28 20:55 | 显示全部楼层
今天的太阳报上整版报道的文章。几家欢喜几家愁。
老柳教车
鲜花(86) 鸡蛋(3)
发表于 2007-8-28 23:14 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
把握住市场才能把握住财富,同一年的房地产市场,有人赚大了,有人赔晕了。关键的一点,看得要准,下手稳,出手快。长线有长线的谱,短线有短线的打算。见好就收,得失不挂心上,才会悠悠然,欣欣然。
大型搬家
鲜花(15) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-8-29 05:57 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 今天闲着 于 2007-8-29 00:14 发表   |- Q0 ^5 y% P
见好就收,得失不挂心上,才会悠悠然,欣欣然。

m/ P1 F3 a5 c) @6 K  x; h
# ?. j; |, S- T0 q0 L7 R, r: X9 Z6 g: A9 w5 t& E9 b2 N% u
:zhichi: :zhichi: :zhichi:
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-16 09:25 , Processed in 0.175943 second(s), 15 queries , Gzip On, APC On.