鲜花(15) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-8-28 06:22 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
August 28, 2007 7 F* T3 }) A" ]- a5 R! f; c$ q8 c
+ u9 D# y/ T& r+ ~: n- v% F7 m
Buyer's marketHome sellers forced to slash prices
) ]/ K; f) U, X" W, }7 O! wBy FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU
% k$ X5 E! d' a% e* D7 P7 x5 `4 a& Z; H
Home sellers are slashing their asking prices by tens of thousands of dollars as Edmonton's once sizzling housing market continues to cool, says a city real estate agent.
- C# @; A4 U; E7 c
3 A2 h6 m0 h, ]; DAnd new figures from the Edmonton Real Estate Board show the vast majority of sellers are now getting less than they're asking for - a stark contrast to the bidding wars of a year ago that routinely forced buyers to pay more than the list price. % ?2 Q. I2 c1 N) \
3 W; y; G# J! d+ k) Z, ?" _! t2 \  |
"There's tons of stuff on the market. There's twice as much inventory in residential real estate today as there was a year ago at this time," Re/Max agent Abe Hering told Sun Media yesterday.
* Y, \0 U( h% ~  M! }" o% W% v' O1 T2 V) W3 V
"If your supply mushrooms tremendously, inevitably the only product that will get consumed is the one that's best priced."
! `! w- _; O! c: K6 V( b$ E) @3 ?8 c* x1 G4 i5 ?+ O
As a result, Hering said he routinely advises clients who've had their homes on the market for awhile to drop their asking price by 10% in order to remain competitive. On an average $417,000 single-detached home, that works out to more than $40,000.
  h0 m8 d" L$ L& |3 P, v8 z' V$ p4 M4 l: l/ o0 E% Q0 b- o3 D
"There's no sense reducing any product by 5% because it just doesn't work. We're seeing reductions of 10% and more," he said.
9 n0 s6 A, o, b, t1 A, |6 Y+ L# a. Z( w: V2 G8 {* A% [# ~3 o
Jon Hall, with the Edmonton Real Estate Board, said 85% of single family homes that sold over the past 30 days went for less than the asking price. On average, the final figure was nearly $12,000 less than the seller was seeking.
+ o* i1 o: y5 k/ F7 t. e1 [' a2 Q7 A6 _9 T. h! F
Condos didn't fair much better, with 79% going for less than the asking price.
0 V6 ]7 v& ?* D+ g6 x
: j9 F. Z( K" i* V2 A# M"What most realtors seem to be saying is that the sellers haven't adjusted their mindset to the new reality - that we have over 8,000 listings and that buyers have choice," Hall said. 4 A# |" d2 }4 \6 w) ~2 O

" x* v( Y! q+ N! OHe said many sellers are knowingly asking for more than their home can fetch.
( C3 ?. ^5 R0 ]+ b  s! v9 {& `3 Z
"And quite frankly, the realtors are getting a bit frustrated," Hall said. - ?, S# Q0 x; t1 i. v6 I
% @" S& [8 _, j' P# _. b
"The client sets the price. If the seller says, 'I want it listed $20,000 above the market price,' they've got to do it. Ten days or two weeks later, the realtor's coming back and saying, 'I told you so,' and dropping the price."
; Z! F, O; a$ M8 F$ W9 V+ X+ G8 Y3 D8 c
There are several theories as to why there are so many homes on the market.
* _$ x3 r5 x  I! D! G) N) p4 r# l$ h
Carolyn Pratt, president of the Realtors Association of Edmonton, said some investors are trying to dump property. ! {. @( j% \1 v/ @
7 B1 T" ]9 p, J, v" ^
Other people are moving into larger or smaller homes, while trying to capitalize on the market. Some sellers like to list during the summer months, she said.
8 L6 Y5 m' S1 L) p' x. U4 G( P& L  M# I% s5 \
Pratt said she's also heard some homeowners cashing out and moving back to their home provinces, like Saskatchewan, where homes are cheaper. 9 p, g. u) R: U# j
3 \' j. H  C+ ?) m" Z# Z' X
Keith Mackie, fleet director for Budget Rent-a-Car, sees it every day. He said demand for moving trucks going to Saskatchewan from Alberta and B.C. has recently increased three-fold.
' [- s: v+ |1 M  l$ |* ?$ q& {+ K' W- a+ Y0 y$ d
"It seems like a lot of people are going home," said Mackie. "There's no doubt about it, it's a significant number."
7 `1 P3 O6 B* q  p
, K4 F* S/ F4 S; |. kHall said many sellers with homes on the market in Edmonton today won't sell.
! ^2 j0 B7 b- {$ S/ U4 o" K4 Z; C' M7 C2 R3 G
"It would be fair to say a lot of listings will melt. They'll just disappear," Hall said. "They'll just be withdrawn after a typical 60- or 90-day listing period."
! q& D0 a( X2 V/ R8 N5 L
7 _  x* ^! }6 |) m3 WThe Edmonton Real Estate Board recently reported there was virtually no increase in the selling price of single family residence in July. That month, condo prices went up 2.5%, while townhomes increased 1%. The figures for August are expected to be released early next month.
鲜花(22) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-8-28 09:44 | 显示全部楼层

回复 #1 Magrath 的帖子

Good news, thanks for sharing.
鲜花(4) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-8-28 20:55 | 显示全部楼层
今天的太阳报上整版报道的文章。几家欢喜几家愁。
鲜花(86) 鸡蛋(3)
发表于 2007-8-28 23:14 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
把握住市场才能把握住财富,同一年的房地产市场,有人赚大了,有人赔晕了。关键的一点,看得要准,下手稳,出手快。长线有长线的谱,短线有短线的打算。见好就收,得失不挂心上,才会悠悠然,欣欣然。
鲜花(15) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-8-29 05:57 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 今天闲着 于 2007-8-29 00:14 发表 7 e2 D' a0 |  X$ \3 \0 T, X( r9 Q
见好就收,得失不挂心上,才会悠悠然,欣欣然。
" M# C' m8 i: Q! g  W# c7 W2 G+ X
0 N7 ^/ c4 y% _

F4 y/ q" p- R- O4 h$ x, ^ :zhichi: :zhichi: :zhichi:
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-4-29 05:49 , Processed in 0.178624 second(s), 15 queries , Gzip On, APC On.