Buyer's marketHome sellers forced to slash prices

[复制链接]
鲜花(15) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-8-28 06:22 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
August 28, 2007 3 P/ Q2 e( f4 [2 S4 h
+ r1 s- j% x: @5 T
Buyer's marketHome sellers forced to slash prices
; u7 b2 _3 L. ~, \/ f) E1 fBy FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU5 ?: \! L7 L0 U1 Q) k

& Z: v: w) o7 m1 R) y$ Q- zHome sellers are slashing their asking prices by tens of thousands of dollars as Edmonton's once sizzling housing market continues to cool, says a city real estate agent.
* a" i8 U# |  X% g% G5 V& x7 k* T  B
/ n7 Q1 s2 @: T7 ]; J% h5 X2 oAnd new figures from the Edmonton Real Estate Board show the vast majority of sellers are now getting less than they're asking for - a stark contrast to the bidding wars of a year ago that routinely forced buyers to pay more than the list price. ( ~3 B. i' r3 Z1 f$ D$ O

: I- w8 f1 u  I3 n. ?0 O"There's tons of stuff on the market. There's twice as much inventory in residential real estate today as there was a year ago at this time," Re/Max agent Abe Hering told Sun Media yesterday.
+ N5 o1 z0 c( e& _* n4 h
3 A' X: z( U* g1 G"If your supply mushrooms tremendously, inevitably the only product that will get consumed is the one that's best priced."
2 [% Q6 P; y, m9 y2 A; z8 M/ F: j3 g1 e: ?5 d
As a result, Hering said he routinely advises clients who've had their homes on the market for awhile to drop their asking price by 10% in order to remain competitive. On an average $417,000 single-detached home, that works out to more than $40,000.
' v4 u, z+ i" g& ]! H3 }5 N) |% K, X! u6 u
"There's no sense reducing any product by 5% because it just doesn't work. We're seeing reductions of 10% and more," he said. ; V; M4 d. {5 T2 n# C

/ n7 ^) Q0 h3 c  u. CJon Hall, with the Edmonton Real Estate Board, said 85% of single family homes that sold over the past 30 days went for less than the asking price. On average, the final figure was nearly $12,000 less than the seller was seeking. 3 I( D( M8 I# h# Y0 k

0 M. M" Q4 i# O0 f; [& C9 [Condos didn't fair much better, with 79% going for less than the asking price.
; v1 F- c% z" G) v, N9 D) j; f
- S- t$ W) ]& \2 V- J"What most realtors seem to be saying is that the sellers haven't adjusted their mindset to the new reality - that we have over 8,000 listings and that buyers have choice," Hall said. # B3 m8 G, p+ A

. O9 y( S5 W$ n" _6 c' m( DHe said many sellers are knowingly asking for more than their home can fetch. ( [- P# m; y% E
( b* p" v9 a4 o+ }1 c3 U: D- n1 {% w& x
"And quite frankly, the realtors are getting a bit frustrated," Hall said.
  A9 r' i( r) ]. U
! q% _' n- h. V' x, m+ T9 e"The client sets the price. If the seller says, 'I want it listed $20,000 above the market price,' they've got to do it. Ten days or two weeks later, the realtor's coming back and saying, 'I told you so,' and dropping the price." 0 D" y: F9 ], Z, S

/ M; u6 O8 t8 c+ [  aThere are several theories as to why there are so many homes on the market.
! `* \: p& o: q3 g6 C
7 y, W/ q( f: ^6 h* @8 g- iCarolyn Pratt, president of the Realtors Association of Edmonton, said some investors are trying to dump property.
* V. ]3 _9 @2 P8 T! M$ b/ V/ W3 {& J& U9 }- S, d9 a8 J! I1 `
Other people are moving into larger or smaller homes, while trying to capitalize on the market. Some sellers like to list during the summer months, she said. ! `: \4 G: @. P" t# k
3 E+ G' z  m6 m' t( L5 R
Pratt said she's also heard some homeowners cashing out and moving back to their home provinces, like Saskatchewan, where homes are cheaper. ( z9 j6 l0 ~/ H4 v) o) u% E+ ]" H

4 W* ~( O/ V$ c  ?4 t& JKeith Mackie, fleet director for Budget Rent-a-Car, sees it every day. He said demand for moving trucks going to Saskatchewan from Alberta and B.C. has recently increased three-fold.
6 a- V6 B6 N- v( R: q; k4 x; p3 Q) y5 r: W& O; k2 `1 u
"It seems like a lot of people are going home," said Mackie. "There's no doubt about it, it's a significant number." 1 a: y; \' F: C2 u

- B+ l5 g/ ]; b% B' z) HHall said many sellers with homes on the market in Edmonton today won't sell.
7 k; P9 U1 d3 \2 l1 n+ @7 O  K2 [5 |9 K9 _, ?* t+ K
"It would be fair to say a lot of listings will melt. They'll just disappear," Hall said. "They'll just be withdrawn after a typical 60- or 90-day listing period." : ]' q9 ~$ M7 u8 W) E( X4 k1 D7 O

5 T/ U/ B5 t+ T8 CThe Edmonton Real Estate Board recently reported there was virtually no increase in the selling price of single family residence in July. That month, condo prices went up 2.5%, while townhomes increased 1%. The figures for August are expected to be released early next month.
鲜花(22) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-8-28 09:44 | 显示全部楼层

回复 #1 Magrath 的帖子

Good news, thanks for sharing.
鲜花(4) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2007-8-28 20:55 | 显示全部楼层
今天的太阳报上整版报道的文章。几家欢喜几家愁。
鲜花(86) 鸡蛋(3)
发表于 2007-8-28 23:14 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
把握住市场才能把握住财富,同一年的房地产市场,有人赚大了,有人赔晕了。关键的一点,看得要准,下手稳,出手快。长线有长线的谱,短线有短线的打算。见好就收,得失不挂心上,才会悠悠然,欣欣然。
鲜花(15) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2007-8-29 05:57 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 今天闲着 于 2007-8-29 00:14 发表
: Y+ }" }( U- _: \, C6 T+ D1 L8 ?见好就收,得失不挂心上,才会悠悠然,欣欣然。

, n$ ]3 }! Y( t3 z
+ n' v4 {2 i, V* }$ T0 e2 D5 y. _+ e+ V4 I. B  a2 m2 t. }& e+ j2 V, w7 ]
:zhichi: :zhichi: :zhichi:
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-16 05:54 , Processed in 0.539440 second(s), 15 queries , Gzip On, APC On.