查看: 3933|回复: 0

Two Choices

[复制链接]
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-5-12 09:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Two Choices
: y8 B0 s4 u; |* q>
4 |& z" _& y5 M5 o> What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line,
0 i* [! R) K8 Z, m+ o> there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the) t3 {7 [$ e9 Q7 v; g) G& r4 i
> same choice?$ b  {$ r8 ^4 h, Q3 M: W# l! Y
>( z$ i! q4 g$ Y) X
> At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children,  N. _/ ^- B5 J5 P) d9 N
> the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be
$ F. p! W$ d2 K/ |& R. F> forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated
" o* {1 ]. \6 O- Y1 V3 j> staff, he offered a question:4 h6 Z' I( A8 |" ^! T; P7 Y5 }
>$ H! J, W# }4 F7 J8 @8 E/ z
> 'When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is
* e5 b* f4 d3 u> done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other
$ i4 |+ O& z9 W0 S- Z' M, x" k4 ?> children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the# B; M, H. i3 i* Y3 q. J
> natural order of things in my son?'
" @. Q! U5 y; O>5 s+ y$ d+ P6 b0 [) N0 a$ F$ |" Z
> The audience was stilled by the query.
8 [4 O  \- A7 r) b* t6 P: z& K>5 p! N5 m+ C* k
> The father continued. 'I believe that when a child like Shay, physically
4 l" a) j* e3 S# N> and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize- D) y, P+ J) c! T) J4 a
> true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people
  S$ `, w) o- L9 ^' @: N& U> treat that child.'
0 j0 H# p" }2 E8 D& V$ a7 [>) R. T- N9 V6 V- C3 s+ d2 j
> Then he told the following story:; P" i6 F. k" ~, \) I% z0 Z
>
7 t' T1 R) A: T* v1 B- G3 J0 Z9 I: z> Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were' {9 n8 x7 e! \" m; F
> playing baseball. Shay asked, 'Do you think they'll let me play?' Shay's
3 M$ \4 |1 z" b  R( D> father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their" A# W# N- {3 @5 }3 {9 _2 j
> team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play,
4 t5 n' M) q/ X- z( u, O$ Z> it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be+ c2 g- Q* h. y
> accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.
( G1 o  {9 j1 D$ {# Q>
% m* |: N6 C: _4 ~8 G! S# v> Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not
# U. W! i4 e3 R3 Z- W> expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and! L0 X& N# a. g  r2 n" @
> said, 'We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I0 m( q; T; ?( C9 [9 f+ \. t: G
> guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth
1 v( E+ Q  |/ ~/ s. y> inning.'$ M. m7 U0 G4 m' ?% f) `- Y
>, {  K/ t% X5 Q. j: n  b& c
> Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a+ e1 G/ [& u, h5 h' v& a$ ~, w
> team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in
+ r# }& y2 c* k3 M2 w> his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the
' H# }8 [4 w4 D3 Z8 Q( A> bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still! Q2 R8 p. H# p' o- K: H
> behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and% q  b/ T# B. A$ `3 Z( X+ M' j1 u. b
> played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was
6 i" O% r  g" ^, [8 Y, O$ w4 R& K> obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from% O: s; h9 r" _- I6 }* t% p- e
> ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the
, L6 Z; \* |* ^8 i$ Y: B8 H/ _0 }> ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases3 M- d. q, h: v5 U* q, {' ~( {
> loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be" W- g7 B3 o% j* O" d9 L" f
> next at bat.! G. F4 R: |  J/ ^1 w
>2 \! M% f% t8 l" Q/ W
> At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the5 i  w! P" G# Y7 N2 X, ]! n& S9 I  Z
> game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat Everyone knew that a hit was all" h. g7 k4 X* y6 g$ n; i
> but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly,; q9 K+ @" M6 ?1 P; p" F
> much less connect with the ball.
" w( o* B6 c0 V+ f> However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the
9 X: ]: z& j$ L; D6 ?3 `2 ^0 T> other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved# w, ?5 n4 t, g, v7 c
> in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make) q" B# U& H1 D" U/ w. Q( q
> contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The
2 x% j+ x3 k- g: y. j) y  m( H> pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay.
3 q% m* B- R; i; a> As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball
6 h3 ~3 q- Z6 W3 t7 [> right back to the pitcher./ J! p0 ?( j) z' R( D) H
>
0 U6 X/ p$ _& J, i5 c4 V8 e> The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and3 M4 L; o- O/ H. o2 W: j
> could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been
  ~6 b8 Z8 p$ a6 K% ~4 m- d> out and that would have been the end of the game.3 [8 [( y, x- n2 o( U3 h
>
( r, @& h; b8 F8 t> Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out
3 ~. R7 D5 ]" A; j- O> of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started
' S7 L+ r% r2 _> yelling, 'Shay, run to first! Run to first!' Never in his life had Shay ever
: y! o6 W8 C3 G> run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline,
3 c$ B/ L; n2 S; h> wide-eyed and startled.3 g' F2 e0 a# Q+ l
>
5 Y8 y, o, u! U$ @5 m> Everyone yelled, 'Run to second, run to second!' Catching his breath, Shay* l2 |: C/ y8 f0 {$ y$ S. p5 B
> awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the
8 a* g# \/ ^* q( u% }> base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had
! N& ]- v' R9 |4 G: [> the ball ... The smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to5 ?4 @/ Y" R4 S' H) K
> be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the
' c8 T# g+ q8 B* E- W1 O$ Q! _> second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intention So he,
6 K7 V' [6 `- t4 Q( y. S. D> too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's! S8 A( ~+ C- a2 z+ B3 P3 o
> head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him: p' c; Q) y1 g4 l1 ~. T- z
> circled the bases toward home.# z8 Q4 p, v  ^3 B5 H: ^
>0 }' b8 ], l& R) U9 O
> All were screaming, 'Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay'" g+ C# B" L4 b/ R
>
% Z  k1 k% }6 c, ]# i8 `0 \7 N> Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by
! \# C8 V, G: N4 a- r& c  R) K+ a> turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, 'Run to third!* M" t5 }. m, B9 K' ^/ \
> Shay, run to third!'
: P6 Y4 v1 y6 |1 r( N: C>
. G4 Z- Z( T% K9 f" a> As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on  ]( U* T. V) y9 m
> their feet screaming, 'Shay, run home! Run home!' Shay ran to home, stepped& V  C0 n( Q  A8 n" o
> on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the: Y6 Y9 F* t6 y* {9 _' a
> game for his team.
' x# s# s; P7 j4 y>4 t3 |( f, N0 ~7 s5 @5 N- A
> 'That day', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face,3 H) J0 x* ?1 Q: f1 [9 C+ R
> 'the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity2 ?  Q- k% P% \! a% }7 Z' `' X% ?; H" k
> into this world'.- ]. E& p" b3 ^' K  z, n
>/ k6 p( j, B& C
> Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never+ z- r$ E. J: t
> forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and6 z; s- e+ K2 |# l2 X& [
> seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!2 |, |' ~. j- j
>2 f1 F3 d: H2 \
> AND NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands of jokes
/ [/ f( k6 z! s0 Y7 c3 c  _' O8 L3 V> through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending7 M, L# ~4 X3 m
> messages about life choices, people hesitate. The crude, vulgar, and often& T: p1 @- b& e8 T$ Z
> obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion about decency
& o6 s* \% R3 M3 l9 k, ^) Y# a> is too often suppressed in our schools and workplaces.
% P4 ]1 ~, C* [5 |7 \>
: Y, ~# y, {7 o> If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that you're
+ Q  }, S, x* s2 H4 V: Q. j) E> probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't the+ r; i  p# i% K/ `) `: V
> 'appropriate' ones to receive this type of message. Well, the person who% p$ C0 k* M9 I# w/ w. k
> sent you this believes that we all can make a difference. We all have" J. U& r  o1 A* T6 y, C' d
> thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the 'natural
8 Z' C3 }5 v; X! U7 q2 N> order of things.' So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people9 Y/ u, V. [, Y8 P/ a1 F
> present us with a choice: Do we pass along a little spark of love and- ], v. ]4 w% [0 ?7 w* y- M
> humanity or do we pass up those opportunities and leave the world a little
7 q& m! S  h) [6 Z* o* A, o( S9 n  f> bit colder in the process?, j3 ]+ U* I$ s9 V5 _
>- C5 z2 T/ `+ t5 z% z4 x
> A wise man once said every society is judged by
$ K' @" V0 d& o4 K+ N  U* v> how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them.1 b5 t. j. Q; ^. Y2 W' s/ {" Q
>
5 P4 X; Z" W. l# ?  ]. R/ u  C> You now have two choices:* }& \4 q9 f) u" N6 k
> 1. Delete
8 n" o' N' W# f1 e* y> 2. Forward/ @/ _9 ?" x7 L: L0 [6 a
>
, W5 \1 z8 l: g6 |; `> May your day, be a Shay Day.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-25 11:24 , Processed in 0.066467 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On, APC On.