注册
查看: 4421|回复: 3

International Student Success Story

[复制链接]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-8-21 11:44 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
International student Shaoping Shi, from Longkou in Yantai City,
# _3 G! t0 e' c9 D- KChina, is a proud graduate from the Accounting and Strategic+ z. Q- x% d% s6 b
Measurement program. Her hard work has paid off; in July 2008 she
" C/ Y$ \  q. U1 f* w) R6 Caccepted a position in the MacEwan Financial Services department.
, n! E+ R4 e6 Y! A# e; V5 v9 ]It is an outcome she could never have predicted in 2003 when she3 x0 c' d( D$ Z8 n
came to Grant MacEwan as an exchange student from Heze Medical
; |! ^9 U3 q5 qCollege to continue her nursing studies. She came as a top student
7 p  m! C# b; \  v. `and vice-president of her student activities association, but when she
4 T& b8 {% |3 p9 X4 ugot here, everything changed. Two years later she found herself struggling,
9 [; j0 n3 ^0 Vbarely keeping up with her program and on the verge of commencing* M: l# f3 a2 r, u
her clinical practicum. “I asked myself, ‘What’s my goal? Do
9 _0 a% s( B/ `/ j/ nI want to stay in nursing my whole life?”
, _8 l5 D# N$ b( h  u5 kShe turned to Katherine Hildebrand at the Student Resource
. x( }, Y9 ?8 L0 A  r" |Centre. “I noticed that Katherine was a good friend to many, and as
4 r# Z6 e0 V! A, {8 \' J6 e9 @+ ran international student I have learned that you have to speak out,6 u0 t# o4 t- U
talk to someone. You cannot be struggling by yourself. Even if you
4 f# `4 N+ t0 T' I# Yfind a way forward, it’s going to take you so long. They are going to
" Q% ]1 s- ]& F6 K3 ygive you the help that you need.”
0 q+ n1 Y6 F+ o7 n6 L“Katherine asked me, ‘What are you interested in?’” I was interested
9 Q3 H: G+ l3 I& A3 Pin numbers, so I tried a few basic accounting courses, and I did really
* k/ l% \- h6 o: @6 l4 p: rwell. I got As, and I was so satisfied. Then Katherine helped me apply& q1 l& Z% I- |5 U% {5 }" a3 i
to the program.” That, however, was just the beginning of a long haul.
+ o+ {' {: C& \3 L: g" ~1 @& M+ X“It was a really, really big challenge. It was a good thing I was in the
5 @" n& K5 I0 s5 x2 Eco-op program. I was able to practice and get paid. It really helped3 a' U' _. l; V0 c
out.” Shaoping believes that nothing is impossible. “My favourite
& z. s5 k% h( ?3 G1 _feeling is enjoying a small success after working hard on a challenge.”
6 ?' L& {# Z' |4 H3 l1 b4 b1 LThroughout this period Shaoping relied on a large circle of friends7 T& {6 j; d; i+ P2 i4 l
and staff at Grant MacEwan, and high among them, Katherine.  H: B9 {: d9 ]: ^! T
“Katherine is like one of my parents. I trust her and could tell her) U% ?* F" S( V  M& t; D. U
anything from my heart. She always has my best interests in mind.”
! X+ @7 V& M% ^. d. f+ f' VWith such support and a new job, she has decided to stay in
7 ~0 {3 H) D2 fEdmonton for now, “I feel Grant MacEwan is my home here.” With& }$ z% x: K- M5 r# m  T
diploma in hand, Shaoping is looking forward to a trip back to China- x; L. v# R0 S: s1 Y4 E2 p7 P1 P
in February 2009 for Chinese New Year.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-28 07:45 , Processed in 0.085077 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On, APC On.